Chapter 38

Never Give Up (feat. Rose Cousins) by UNSECRET

Shane, T-Dog and I take our first few cautious steps into the empty skybridge.

As we skulk our way along, I throw a glance over my shoulder while the doctors silently close the doors, sealing them shut again with a metal pipe.

The faces of T-Dog's colleagues then peak through the porthole style windows of the double doors.

Once we reach the end of the skybridge, the faces disappear, to return to the office to watch us on the monitors.

The lobby and the cafeteria are empty, silent and suspenseful, as we creep through.

The cafeteria, abandoned mid meal time by the looks of things.

The buffet set up is still full with now rotten food. Metal trolleys are filled with empty food trays, some overturned. The floor is littered with trays, plates and food.

We move along silently as T leads us through.

We round the corner into a hall, labs running all the way along each side, with glass windows and doors.

When we step forward into the hall, all the lights turn on, brightening our way forward.

Shane shoots a worried look at T-Dog but T just nods.

"Power saving sensors." he whispers.

We carry on gingerly down the hall, peaking in each lab along the way, making sure they're empty.

Many of the rooms are dishevelled. Chairs and equipment all knocked over, papers scattered.

There's quite a bit of blood splattered about the rooms, too.

T-Dog stops and waves at the floor, signalling to the broken glass outside one of the rooms.

As we pass the room, I notice the door handle to this lab has been tied shut with a bloody lab coat. An attempt at containment. Whoever had been inside though, has burst through the windows instead.

We do our best to quietly make our way through the broken glass, but stepping on shards is unavoidable.

T-Dog's heavier steps loudly shatter some of the glass and it echoes through the hall.

We all wince with every crunch of glass until finally the floor under our feet is clear again.

We're halfway down the hall when T-Dog suddenly halts us before passing the next room.

The three of us press our backs up against the wall.

Shane holds a protective arm out in front of me as we both look to T-Dog.

He turns to us and holds three fingers up, nodding his head in the direction of the lab.

Three walkers inside.

I take a quick glance at the door of the lab and see it's been tied shut too. I guess these walkers hadn't felt obliged to smash their way out.

Shane silently signals us, telling us to get low and go. He nods at me to go first.

I crouch down and crawl beneath the window to the glass door.

"Go." Shane whispers softly and I scuttle past the door, crawling until I'm clear of the window too.

I stand up and take the subtlest of peaks into the lab.

The walkers are pacing but their backs are turned.

After my signals, T-Dog and Shane swiftly make their way across and we continue on.

We follow T-Dog around a few corners and into another hall.