Chapter 13

Game of Survival by Ruelle

I sit under my usual tree, just off to the side of camp, where I can have my own space but still observe everything.

California Dreamin' by The Mama's & the Papa's plays through my little earphones, helping me to somewhat dissociate.

For what feels like the hundredth time in the last hour, I think of Shane kissing me on the cheek.

I can still feel where his soft lips touched my skin.

Pathetic.

But it was just so sweet.

He's so sweet.

I feel not everyone around here would agree with me on that at the moment, though.

When Shane and I made it back to camp, everyone was talking in hushed tones and looking at us, at him.

Ed was nowhere to be seen, having taken refuge in his tent.

Lori came to fuss over me and see if I needed anything, all the while ignoring Shane beside me.

I brushed her off, not needing the fuss and also because I didn't feel like talking her if she wanted to treat Shane that way.

Shane and I grabbed a bite to eat then we retreated to our own tents.

I grabbed my iPod and journal and came back out to this tree.

All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix begins to play as I find myself missing Glenn.

I hope he and the guys are okay.

It doesn't do any good thinking about it, so I try not to dwell.

And in an attempt to think about something else, I'm back on the cheek kiss.

I sigh and I look down at my journal, which is open at the page with my sketch of Shane.

It's quite a likeness. The sketchiness of it made it a little rough but the lightness of the lead made it soft.

Rough but soft. Sounds like him.

I smile to myself.

Amy and Andrea approach camp, bringing me back to reality.

They're carrying a large bunch of fish that they'd caught from the quarry. It's very impressive.

I get up and join in, so I can get out of my head.

Lori asks how they learnt to fish and they explain that their Dad taught them.

Carl fusses over the fish excitedly and Amy offers to teach him.

"Shane! Look at all the fish." Carl shouts as Shane makes his way over.

I mentally chastise myself for getting butterflies just hearing his name.

"Looks like we're in for a feed tonight." Shane says as he rubs his hands together. I can't help but smile at him.

Dale then approaches.

Andrea tries to show him their haul but he doesn't react with excitement. He barely acknowledges the sisters, his expression full of concern.

"I don't want to alarm anyone.. but I think we might have a problem on our hands."

I drop my smile and my body tenses, already preparing for fight or flight.

Dale turns and points up to the meadow.

Jim is up there with a shovel, digging.

Not the 'problem' I was expecting.

I don't really see the issue; what else is there to do around here some days?