Chapter 9

Subtle Thing by Marian Hill

It's been somewhere around two weeks since I joined the quarry camp. An interesting two weeks.

I've kept busy, helping out with daily duties like watch duty, cooking and occasionally laundry.

I don't particularly agree with their system.

The men do the heavy lifting, protect camp, keep watch and the women cook and clean. It works for them I guess and everyone seems happy enough.

But I'll be damned if I conform to that. I am perfectly capable of being an all rounder, thank you very much.

And I don't see why everyone can't wash their own clothes.

I mentioned gun training and self defence to the women during a laundry session down at the quarry once, but they all laughed the idea away. Out of lack of confidence mainly, I think.

I'll have to work on them, until the idea sticks.

When I'm not participating in daily duties, I'm adding to my journal, roaming the outdoors, chilling in my tent or conversing with the other campers.

I spend most of my time with Jim, Jacqui and Glenn.

And Shane.

Shane and I became fast friends.

You'd assume we knew each other before the virus.

We were often in each other's company, chatting and laughing. If I didn't find him, he'd come find me. It could get a bit flirtatious at times but it was harmless fun.

We were just comfortable around one another.

When we weren't together, I'd catch myself looking for him or watching him. Not in a possessive, jealous kind of way. I was just very aware of him and his presence. He pulled me in like a magnet. And the more I got to know him, the more attractive he became.

He looks rough around the edges, looks like a tough guy, but he's sweet, caring, funny, honest and I know he has my back.

He was already handsome to begin with, but add in his personality.. what a stunner.

I had become pretty efficient with the cleaning and loading of Shane's pistol, so he taught me all about his other weapon; a mossberg 590 shotgun. It was a lot bigger than the pistol and was very enjoyable to learn.

He showed me how best to fire the guns, too. How to hold them, how to stand, even how best to breath while aiming.

Actually firing the weapons aside, he's taught me everything I need to know.

I loved learning from him. His patience and expertise is wonderful. He did make it a little difficult to focus sometimes though.

We were in the woods just the other day and Shane was showing me how to hold the shotgun.

He stood behind me, guiding and placing my hands with his own.

Then he positioned himself by my left shoulder. His left hand covered mine on the weapon and he placed his right hand on my upper back, guiding my posture.

It seemed harmless enough at first but then he lingered, held his position. I felt like I was buzzing with electricity from his closeness. My skin felt so warm under his touch.

While I was mentally debating whether it was deliberate or if I was reading too much into it, I felt his warm breath sweep over my left bicep.

My skin tingled as my heart started racing, my lips parting as I inhaled sharply but silently.