Chapter 22

Unsteady by X Ambassadors

The drive back to the farm is numb and silent, Shane and I both completely shell shocked.

We may have escaped the nightmare at the school but we are still in another one.

I'm hoping on hope that Carl is still hanging on.

Our fatal trip had been anything but quick and I can feel Shane slowly going out of his mind beside me.

I try to drive as fast and safely as I can, but it isn't fast enough.

Shane gets fidgety in his seat and when I glance at him, shock, panic and worry are all over his face and in his flittering eyes.

"We gotta get there." he mutters. "We gotta get there."

"I know." I try to reassure him softly.

"THEN HAUL ASS, MIA!" he yells.

His sudden outburst makes my eyelids flutter and my hands tighten their grasp on the steering wheel.

"I'm doing the best I can, okay? I'm sorry." I try to keep my voice level and calm but it quivers.

"I'm s- I'm sorry.." he breathes out, pleadingly.

"It's okay."

He slumps back in his seat. "We just-" his voice catches. "We- we gotta get there." he says in a whisper.

"I know."

And we slip back into silence.

I know it's nothing personal, he's just worried about Carl and we are running on borrowed time.

But it isn't our only problem.

I don't even know how to begin processing all we've just gone through.

Taking on all those walkers and narrowly escaping was traumatic enough itself but..

Otis..

These people were doing everything they could to help us. How are we suppose to return without their man?

We finally reach the farm and I drive up to the steps of the front porch.

Rick and Lori exit the house, Hershel right behind.

Shane falls out of the car before I can park it, bags in hand.

To my surprise, Glenn trails out the front door behind Maggie.

Everyone looks dreary and anxious.

I get out of Otis's truck while Shane limps hurriedly towards an approaching Rick.

"Carl?" he grunts, meeting Rick halfway, between the truck and the porch.

"There's still a chance." Rick says as Hershel snatches the bags from Shane.

I breathe out sharp relief.

We aren't too late. It wasn't all for nothing.

Hershel looks from us and then back to the truck. "Otis?" he asks and I stop breathing.

Me eyes well up while Shane shifts his weight. He swallows and gives a subtle head shake.

"No." Shane breathes out, so soft I almost miss it.

Hershel holds a straight face but behind him, Maggie's crumples.

"We say nothing to Patricia." Hershel declares. "Not 'til after. I need her."

Glenn comes and takes a bag, then he and Hershel race back inside with the supplies.

Rick watches Hershel disappear inside before turning back to Shane.