Chapter 27

Natural by Imagine Dragons

Shane slowly moves toward the barn, peaking through a gap in the doors.

We all stand by, watching and waiting.

After Glenn's announcement, we dropped everything and came straight to the barn in question.

There's a snarl and a bang on the door from the inside. Shane slowly backs away before turning and marching angrily towards Rick.

"You cannot tell me you're alright with this." he says through gritted teeth.

"No, I'm not." Rick replies firmly. "But we're guests here, this isn't our land."

"No, this is our lives!" Shane yells and starts pacing.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug." Andrea says to Rick.

"No, we can't. This isn't right, not remotely. Why would they do this?" I question.

I had thought the Greene's to be good people but now I'm not so sure.

"We either gotta go in there, we gotta make things right, or we just gotta go." Shane says. "Now, Fort Benning is our next be-"

"We can't go!" Rick cuts him off.

"Why, Rick? Why?" Shane asks.

"Because my daughter's still out there." Carol speaks up.

Shane looks at her sadly and lowers his voice. "Look, I.. I think it's time that we all start to consider that-"

"Shane!" Rick cuts him off again, stopping him from saying the cold truth that nobody wants to hear. "We're not leavin' Sophia behind."

"We're close to finding this girl. I just found her doll." Daryl defends.

"You found her doll, Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll!" Shane states.

"You don't know what the hell you're talkin' 'bout!" Daryl yells angrily, offended by Shane's dismissiveness.

"I'm just saying what needs to be said. You get a good lead, it's in the first forty-eight hours-"

"Shane, stop!" Rick shouts overtop of him.

"Let me tell you something else man," Shane aims at Daryl. "-if she was alive out there and saw you coming, walker ears around your neck, arrow stickin' out of your stomach, she would run in the other direction, man!"

"Shane!" I scold him.

"Shut your mouth!" Daryl yells back as he storms over to Shane.

The two start to go at each other and everyone starts yelling.

Rick jumps in between and tries to keep them apart as they continue to shout and provoke one another.

I grasp onto Shane's arm and pull him back while Glenn pushes Daryl away.

Shane tries to take another stride towards Daryl and I stand in front of him, placing a firm hand on his chest. "Shane, stop!" I plead, giving his body a light shove with my hand.

His nostrils flare as he continues to glare at Daryl.

"Shane." I say firmly and his eyes find mine.

His chest heaves underneath my hand, his warm breath hitting my arm.

"Please.." I implore softly, as he looks into my eyes.

He breathes heavily through his nose as he holds eye contact with me, calming himself.

"Just let me talk to Hershel! Let me figure it out." Rick says.