Chapter 5

Running Wild by Valen

After breakfast, I find a tree to sit under, opting for one that's off to the side, with a view of the vehicles, the campfire area and the tents.

I want to sit back and observe everyone, try and get an idea of these people and how they operate.

Glenn waves to me from the top of the RV. He's just taken over watch from Jim, who grabs something to eat and takes it back to his tent.

Shane's sitting with Lori and Carl.

Shane and I make eye contact and he gives me a nod. I return a small smile then continue observing.

Next to them is Carol, Sophia and Jacqui.

Dale's with Andrea and Amy.

Everybody's sitting in conversation for now, so I pull out my journal and sketch while I begin a mental debate.

Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash starts playing in my head. I smile to myself and turn to a new blank page and start doodling the song title.

While I draw, I think over the of pros and cons for staying and for leaving.

Being around people is definitely safer. And if help was ever to come from authorities, a big group is easier to find.

But being around people also leaves a lot of room for human error. A lot more chances for something going wrong. A lot more noise. It's harder to move a big group of people when travelling. One person is much more inconspicuous.

A cop is probably one of the safest people to be around though.

I look at Shane. He's talking to Carl and they're both smiling.

I love seeing men with kids. It always warmed my heart seeing doting fathers at the cafe.

Anyway, a cop. Safe to be around a cop.

Especially if they're as handsome as Sh-

Nope.

Safe to be around, good to have in your corner- that is all.

I look back down at my paper and keep doodling.

~

It's been a couple of hours and I filled the page and have gone back to finish sketching Willow's portrait. All the while simultaneously observing the group.

Sisters Andrea and Amy keep close to one another.

Dale hangs around them a bit, giving me a father figure vibes. But I don't think they're actually know related.

Jacqui and Glenn are here on their own, but they talk to everyone and fit in nicely.

I've also noticed that Carol tends to be very quiet and submissive when her husband Ed is around. He seems very boorish and I already do not like him. The way her demeanour changes in his presence.. I think he might be abusive.

Then there's Shane and Lori. There's something about the two of them, I could see it even from this distance. There is an awkwardness to Shane.. it's subtle but it's there. When he's around Lori, his eyes tend to be shifty or downcast. That aside, it's obvious he cares about Lori and Carl very much.

I hum and lightly mumble The Chain by Fleetwood Mac, as I finish off my sketch. I'm very pleased with all three of my Willow sketches. But I feel this portrait isn't quite done yet.

I grab a pack of colour pencils from my bag and add a light pop of colour to Willow. This is just what it needed. I smile to myself and look down at my work.