Chapter 39-Broken bonds

Start from the beginning

" If you touch my cousin again, I'll beat you black and blue." He threatened. " Sir Chris is coming to class after recess. If you like, don't go and sit down and learn. Crack heads. You come dey form oga for here."

Kareem was about to talk when Hassan stopped him. " If you like, try me. I'll beat you to the extent that, your mirror won't recognize you. Go away, Dan Allah." He shooed them away.

When he was sure that they were out of sight. He wrapped his arm around Zayn's shoulder and handed him the biscuit. " I told you to be with your friends," he spoke gently. "I've handled those mean boys. They won't bother you."

Zayn nodded meekly, looking up at his cousin. At that moment, he wanted to grow strong like Hassan so he would protect his sibling the same way. His mother was expecting. He felt so indebted to Hassan that he would do anything to shield him away from any sort of trouble as he did to him.

" Let's take you to Emraan since you've refused to stay with your friends. He is in the library studying for a test."

" Okay," Zayn smiled. That would allow him to learn new things to teach his friend(Eskander) back at the palace who was teaching him horse riding. It was a deal he had to fulfill.

He bit into his biscuit and handed one to Hassan. Hassan chuckled and took it between his teeth. " Thank you." He took Zayn's hand in his and led him to the library.

" I love you, Hassan." It didn't feel heavy on his tongue. It rolled off like silk and water.

" I love you too, Zayn."

Things have changed. Times have changed. The people too have changed. Some bonds don't last forever. They start all good but end in the worst way possible. The reason? Envy. It is an incurable disease. Who would have ever thought that Zayn would be the one to call the police on Hassan?

" You are not my blood!" Zayn painfully recalled Hassan's words to him. Although he was to see to it that Hassan is punished, he wished that all this was a nightmare and that he would wake up from it to meet everything like it was years ago.

His hands rested lightly on the door handle of the interrogation room Hassan was in at the Dantamashe Police station. The door was slightly ajar, and he could hear harsh voices from the room. Hassan's parents were in there with him. They said they wanted to talk to him. Zayn eavesdropped.

" Hassan, you are a disgrace!" His father, Hamza spat at him disgustedly.
" What have we not done for you? Did we as your parents lack anywhere in your upbringing?"

" Please, stop this." Halima, his mother stepped in. " You are always questioning what our son does, why not investigate Zayn too? I mean, what at all did he do to Hassan to the extent that Hassan was willing to demolish him no matter the cost? I'm not trying to insinuate anything, but just investigate that nephew of yours too."

The guts.

" Halima," Hamza called. " Don't pretend as if you don't know what is going on. It's all about the throne. He wants something that's not written in his destiny. It's not surprising that he's suffering this way because of it."

" Abba," for the first time, Hassan opened his mouth to speak. " I was doing this for us. Don't turn a blind eye to how they treat you. The throne belongs to our bloodline."

" That right there is your problem!" Hamza hit his fist on the table which separated him and his wife from their son. " You refuse to believe that the throne doesn't belong to us. We have nothing to fight for. My mother was a godforsaken harlot. We have the family's surname because the late dowager wanted us to. And you think eliminating Zayn means that you get the throne? Hassan come back to your senses! Open your eyes and see the rubble of destruction you caused. I give up on this."