Chapter 17 | The sea between us

Mr. Wang entered the living room just as Yibo had regained consciousness. Yibo got up from the couch, pushing the doctor and Wenjun out of the way as they tried to calm him down. Yibo angrily walked towards his father who blocked the way to the front door for him. Yibo tried to avoid his father, but his father wouldn't let him go. He grabbed Yibo's shoulder and stopped him.

"Let me go, Father! I have to find LiYing! She kidnapped Zhan!"

"LiYing's been caught!" said Mr. Wang, causing Yibo to stop resisting. - "Wenjun and I managed to catch up with him just in time and rescue Zhan. LiYing and the man she was with are now in the hands of the police."

"And Zhan? Where is he?" asked Yibo worriedly. He noticed that his father looked a little nervous. Mr. Wang's face showed concern, which only made Yibo more nervous.

"Dad, .. tell me. Where is Zhan?" asked Yibo, preparing himself for any lousy news his father might tell him.

"Zhan is no longer here." said Mr. Wang finally.

"What do you mean he's not here? ... Where is he now?"

"Shortly before you woke up, he was gone. He probably went back to the sea." Mr. Wang replied.

"I looked for him on the beach, ... but I didn't see him anywhere." said Wenjun who was still standing next to the couch and just looked sadly at Yibo.

Yibo turned his gaze back to his father, but his eyes were filled with tears this time. He looked at him in disbelief, but unfortunately, Mr. Wang had no good news to tell Yibo about Zhan or his sudden departure. Mr. Wang was just as sad as Yibo.

"I'm sorry, son." said sadly Mr. Wang and embraced Yibo, who said nothing this time, but returned his father's embrace.

-----------------

Yibo spent the whole morning on the terrace, sitting in the swing. His heart was once again oppressed by emptiness and deep sadness like before, only this time he felt it not because of the loss of his mother but because of Zhan's absence.

Mr. Wang walked softly to the swing and sat down next to Yibo. There was silence between them for a while.

"Yibo ..." said Mr. Wang, but Yibo immediately interrupted before his father could continue.

"I know what you want to say, father ... but it's unnecessary." - Yibo began, then turned his head gloomily towards his father and continued. - "There is nothing you can do to comfort me now." - Yibo looked forward again and continued to look at the sea. - "We both know he's gone, .. and he's not coming back." 

Mr

Mr. Wang didn't say anything, just let out a tired sigh. A few moments later, he handed Yibo a teardrop-shaped, pale blue stone.

When Yibo glanced at the stone, he was surprised, because the stone that his father held in his palm was Zhan's single tear that turned into stone.