chapter twenty-three: on the run

THREE WEEKS LATER...

Thando's POV

It's been a while since we buried my parents. Aviwe has been extremely supportive and has been on my side, every step of the way. Everyone in our friend group too. I still have no idea when we're leaving SA but I'm just going with the flow.

08:00
I wake up and realise that viwe is not home so I just take a shower and wear an oversized white winter set. I wear black novelty slipper. I have knotless braids so I just wear a hairband and let them down. I have my breakfast and after a while, I hear Kayise crying from the baby monitor. I go upstairs and feed her, bathe her and I dress her in black tights, white socks, a black oversized small tee and I gently wash and comb out her little afro with baby hair products. Then I put a white hairband hairband on her. She falls asleep shortly afterwards so I just place her in her cot with a baby monitor next to her. I go to my closet where I find my parents clothes and a note falls out. The note reads...

"Rest in peace to the in-laws

~the Khubeka's"

Aviwe walks in and hugs me from behind.

Aviwe: hey baby, what are you reading?

He says in a low tone.

Aviwe: let me see that.

He says taking it from me.

Thando: what is this, viwe?
Aviwe: I don't know, baby. I will explain everything once I figure it out.

He runs out and Kayise starts crying so I head out to her nursery to get her. I feed her a bottle of milk and put her to sleep.

Aviwe's POV

I get to Ntsikelelo's house and run inside. I find him already waiting for at in the dining area.

Aviwe: the Khubeka's did it!
Ntsi: the Khubeka's did what?
Aviwe: they killed Thando's parents!
Ntsi: where is thando now?!
Aviwe: she's at...

I pause as I think of how i left my wife and daughter at home. Their lives are in danger!

Aviwe: I'm so stupid!

I say as we both run out.

Ntsi: Sibusiso! Beef up security and be on high alert!

We drive at high speed to get Thando and the baby out of the house. We get to my house and run out of the car. We run inside.

Ntsi: tell her to pack.

*Gunshots*

I pull out my gun.

Ntsi: GO!

*Gunshots*

Thando's POV

I hear gunshots from upstairs and grab my baby and hold her close. Aviwe runs in.

Aviwe: baby, I need you to lock the door  and start packing. I love you.

He kisses me and looks into my eyes before running out. I lock the door. I run to the closet, I grab our toiletries and essentials. I pack a lot of clothes. I also pack Kayise's toiletries and clothes. I grab my now crying baby and try to hush her while the gunshots are getting closer. I silently pray they don't hurt us. Aviwe runs in after a while, his suit has blood all over and his white shirt making it so obvious.

Aviwe: let's go.

Ntsikelelo grabs the baby's carseat and one of the suitcases. I take the baby and one of the bags. Aviwe takes the other two suitcases. As we leave, I can't help but notice the amount of dead bodies laying on our floors. The blood on the floor, the gun on Aviwe's hip. I understand that this is their life and all but this is scary.

Thando: viwe...
Aviwe: we'll talk when we're safe, baby.

We take the v-class because we have a lot with us. We drive put and go to Uya's house. We get there and she's already packed, everything is in the car and she's in the car, including her babies. Ntsikelelo gets in their car. I take Kayise and sit in the front seat. Ntsi drives in front of us while we follow behind him. After driving for hours and hours, Kayise throwing tantrums and Aviwe's stress levels way up there. We finally arrive at the destination. It's a house that's very far away from the city. It's in a forest. Driving in, it looks like a normal forest but once you get deep in, there is a house. The "safe house" Aviwe said. They open the gate and we go in. We get inside the house and i see our whole squad.

Tyler: hey babe.

He comes up to me and takes Kayise.

Thando: so I don't matter to you anymore ne?
Tyler: you do but not as much as my baby.

I chuckle and he takes Kayise and goes over to the couch. I greet my friends as I hug each and every one of them. I take my seat next to Ty. It's really late right now, probably almost 22:00 but I'm guessing no one is in the mood to sleep. The boys come in and take their seat after talking to the guards and bring the bags inside and placing them in our designated rooms. They all sit next to their partners. All the kids are sleeping in their rooms. This house is actually big. Junior and Nkosi are sharing a room. The twins are sharing a room and Kayise will just sleep with me and her dad. Every couple has their room also. The interior is absolutely stunning, it's black and the furniture is mostly cream white and pure white. There's also a touch of gold here and there.

Aviwe: we had to get you out of town.
Mpumi: it's not safe for you and the kids.
Ntsi: your parents are in Dubai. we secretly switched up their wardrobes and they are going to be wearing hijabs, for their own safety. they are in a safehouse with max security. we flew them out not using their real identities, got rid of anything that traces them back to their identities. Tyrone, your mother too. Sibusiso is there with them, making sure everything is in order. we are going to be here for a while.
Skhu: a really long while.

Does Skhumbuzo ever take anything seriously?

Mpumi: we are also going to be out for sometime tomorrow. Emihle knows how to use a gun and protect herself and the kids, she will train you.