chapter: twenty-two

TWO MONTHS LATER...

Thando's POV
19:30

We haven't left SA yet, I think Aviwe has gotten a bit comfortable now. My parents and I have been speaking a lot and rebuilding our bond, the same thing with Aviwe's mother. Aviwe and my dad have grown really close in the short space of time. My parents are going to a very important event together today. My mom video calls me.

Mom: my baby.
Thando: mama.
Mom: how do I look?
Thando: you look gorgeous, girl.
Mom: I'll see you after the event.
Thando: okay, babes. have fun.
Mom: kiss my grandchild for me.
Dad: I love you.
Thando: I love you too, dad.
Mom: I love you, my baby.
Thando: I love you, mama.

I end the call and Aviwe comes in and gives me a peck on the lips.

Aviwe: hey baby. I am going to the shops to get the baby's formula, do you want anything?
Thando: I just want my husband back and in bed so hurry.
Aviwe: your wish is my command.

He runs out, he likes this thing of his of running when it's so unnecessary. Aviwe bought a house for us this side. We are currently living in Bedfordview, on the hills and it's really nice here. Anyway, I hear a cry from the baby monitor so I go to Thando's nursery and feed her. I sit on the rocking chair and sing her a lullaby until she goes to sleep. I place her in her cot and place a baby monitor next to her. I slight close the door but leave a little space before going back to my room. I go downstairs and make myself some cereal. I have been eating a lot lately. I go to the kitchen and wash the dishes. I hear Aviwe's car park in the garage. He comes in and hugs me from behind with his one arm. I look at him and he has one arm behind his back. He pulls out the flowers and hands them to me.

Aviwe: I love you, baby.
Thando: I love you too.

We kiss and I pull out after a few minutes. There's a note inside and it reads....

"To the mother of my daughter and my future soccer team, your beauty shines more than the moon and the stars. I love you and I'll never stop loving you."

I give him a hug with tears in my eyes.

Thando: thank you, baby.

We head upstairs and take a hot, steamy shower together. If you know, you know. We wear our pajamas and we go to bed where we cuddle and talk until late and we eventually fall asleep.

01:45

I'm woken up by my phone ringing.

Thando: hello?
???: hello, is this Mrs Sibeko speaking?
Thando: yes.
???: ma'am your parents have been involved in a car accident and are in the hospital as we speak.
Thando: what?! please send me the details.

I end the call and wake Aviwe up. I change into a black hoodie and black sweats, I wear white socks and white crocs. He wears the same thing and he rushes to get the baby's bag while I take Kayise. We get in the car and rush to the hospital which is 45 minutes away. On the way, I call Uyathandwa and tell her what happened. She says that she's also on her way. We get there after what felt like forever. We rush inside with the baby in the baby kangaroo carrier, which Aviwe is wearing while covering the baby with a blanket. We run to reception.

Thando: hey, we are looking for the Madonsela's, I am their daughter and this is their son-in-law.

She gives us directions to one of the doctors offices. Before we get there, we bump into one of my moms friends, she is a nurse here so she leads us to this hospital seats in the corridor.

Her: your parents are currently in ICU. I am not sure of the details but it's really not looking good.

She walks away and I look at Aviwe with tears in my eyes. Uya runs to us and gives me a hug and I just break down.

Uya: it's okay, they'll be fine.
Thando: if they are, then why don't I feel like it?

I continue crying and the boys walk away after Ntsikelelo whispers something in Aviwe's ear. It looks serious. I ignore it and Tyler comes rushing in.

Tyler: hey love, how are you doing?

He moved here after my wedding. Him and Ntokozo are living together.

Thando: I'm okay.

We sit there for hours.

Tyler: imma go and get you a cup of coffee.
Thando: thank you.

He leaves for a little while and returns with some coffee. I drink my coffee and throw away the container. Kayise wakes up and I feed her and her dad takes her a puts her in the carrier again and covers her with the blanket. Her father puts the pacifier in her mouth and she sucks on it and she falls asleep. I smile at the sight of my baby. Aviwe sees this and smiles too.

We wait for a couple of more minutes. Now, everyone is here. Ntokozo, Emi, Mpumi and Skhu are here as well.
A doctor walks up to us.

Doc: Mrs Sibeko.
Thando: that's me.

I say as I stand up. He walks up to me and Aviwe stands next to me and holds my hand.

Doc: I'm sorry, we tried everything we could...

My mind switches off and I don't hear the rest of what he says. I run to the bathroom and scream. Uya and Tyler run after me. They get to me and they hug me and I let it all out. I cry for 16 minutes as we stay in the same position. They can't be gone.

We head back to the others and Emi looks at me, she looks very concerned.

Aviwe: baby, let me take you home and I'll deal with the rest of this.
Thando: no, it's fine.
Aviwe: I wasn't asking you, please do this for us.

He says looking at Kayise.

Thando: okay, just let me say goodbye to them.

I ask the nurse to show me my parents and she says that they have been moved from where they were so it's impossible to see them. That was quick.

Nurse: these things belong to them. this note was also found at the scene.
Thando: thank you.

I take the things being handed to me and I go back to the others.

Thando: please take me home.
Aviwe: uya, please take her home.
Mpumi: bafo, take her home. we will handle everything.
Ntokozo: what about the papers that need to be signed to release the bodies? they have to be released and taken to the mortuary.
Thando: I'll sign them and then I'll leave.

I sign all the necessities and Aviwe drives me home. We get there and I feed Kayise, change her diaper and put her to sleep. I go to my room and go to bed. The doctor's word replay themselves in my head like a song.
I just break down. I cry for hours. Aviwe is not home because he has to get my parents out of there. I eventually fall asleep at 07:00. I'm woken up an hour later by a cry that I hear from the baby monitor. I have a really had headache from all the crying, my eyes are red and puffy. I go to her nursery and hush her. I decide to bathe her and dress her in a white hoodie and white sweats with black and white dunks. Aviwe comes back and I give her to him. I take a shower and wear a long black dress and a blue hoodie over it. I wear socks and my black novelty slippers. He comes in with the baby while I'm getting dressed.

Aviwe: how are you feeling?
Thando: not good at all.
Aviwe: I'm here for you, baby.
Thando: I know.

He gives me a peck on the cheek. He gives me the baby and heads upstairs to take a shower. I wear the kangaroo carrier and place Kayise inside. I make some cereal and have my breakfast. Aviwe comes down wearing a blue Adidas tracksuit. He has cereal as well and we head out. We get to my parents house and find a lot of people waiting outside. I wear my shades and I open for them. My cousins and aunts and uncles are here. Ugh it's going to be a long week.