chapter: twenty-one

THE BIG DAY

Thando's POV

Today is the day of my daughter's ceremony. First things first though, Aviwe has to pay damages and pay lobola. We are already married so there's really nothing that anyone can do about it. Even if they try, they'll fail.
I wake up really early and get ready for the day, I then bathe my baby and dress her up. I asked Tyler to sew our outfits for today. Kayise is wearing white stockings and blue little shoes. She's also wear a sotho traditional dress, which is a tutu at the bottom. I brush her little hairs and put a blue hairband on her. I'm wearing a long sotho traditional dresses and a white blanket over. I'm wearing a doek that matches and I'm wearing blue and white dunks. I go upstairs with my baby and we stay there until the proceeding are done. I'm called downstairs.

My uncle: my daughter, do you know these men?

He says pointing at Aviwe's uncles. I nod my head whilst still looking down.

My uncle: alright, you can go.

After a while, we are called back down and Aviwe's uncles are asked to choose their bride. They chose me and the celebratory whistles and ululating followed. After everything is done, we head to Aviwe's house where the baby is introduced to the ancestors. We gave the baby our own names that we decided on so the family gave her a name.

His mom: the name of the baby is Siphosothando.

Everyone ululates. After everything, we dish up and everyone eats. My parents and Aviwe's mom call us both in. We go to the study where it's just us.

My dad: we know that we did not approve of your love at first and we didn't realise that would cost us our children and a chance to raise our grandchild. we are sorry, you have our full blessings to continue loving each other.

Aviwe looked up at my dad in awe of what just happened.

Aviwe: thank you, baba. I will continue to take care of your daughter and I will never give her a reason to cry.

I start crying so Aviwe's mom comes over and gives me a hug.

His mom: I'm sorry, my baby.

Aviwe stands up and so does my dad and they shake hands. I look at my mom.

Thando: thank you.

She nods and comes over to give me a hug.

Mom: please don't leave with my grandchild, you don't have to stay away from us now.