Chapter 13

There were already a few people in the lab, including Ayanami's superior. Selaena walked slowly behind Ayanami. The atmosphere was tense and she wondered why.

"Dear Selaena, please proceed to the dome," said a researcher who appeared.

She looked at Ayanami who nodded his head.

'Whatever he says is fine' Selaena reminded herself.

She walked to the dome and entered. A wave of nausea came over her and threatened to spill. Selaena fell to the ground, her hand over her mouth. Something felt very wrong in here to her.

Ayanami was watching her with concern. He wanted to go help but his superior shook his head.

The researcher from earlier helped her up and sat her down on the cold metal table. Selaena managed to keep the bile down. Something was seriously wrong in this place.

---------------------------------------------

Selaena's eyelids fluttered. Someone had purposely opened the curtain for the sunlight shone directly at her.

She put her hand over her eyes, feeling annoyed. Suddenly pain shot through her both hands and she shrieked.

Selaena sat up on the bed and looked at both her hands. They were bandaged. What happened?

"Are you alright?"

Ayanami stood at the doorway, panting.

"No I'm not. Number 1, the sunlight was shining on me when I woke up. Number 2, my hands hurt like hell. What happened?"

"It was quite difficult to remove the Eyes. So we had to-"

"Okay never mind. I don't want to know."

Ayanami opened his mouth to say something but closed it and looked away. Selaena kept silent and got off the bed.

"Sorry but I'm gonna change. Do you mind?"

"Oh yea err sure I'll er take my leave. See you at the canteen?"

"Yea see you!"

Ayanami turned to the doorway. He opened the door and paused to take one more look at his Selaena, who was about to close the bathroom door. She smiled and waved before closing the door.

The Chief of Staff turned back and left her room.

---------------------------------------------

It took her ages to reach the canteen. Selaena still could not make sense of the hallways that were like a maze.

She finally joined them at the table. They had already started eating.

Showering had been a pain for her. The warm water though warm, still stung her hands and she couldn't wash her hair properly. Now how was she going to eat?

"You look like you need help. What do you want to eat?" Katsuragi asked

"It's okay I can handle myself."

"She eats the same thing everyday. Get her an American Breakfast plate." Haruse said.

Katsuragi nodded and walked off. Selaena felt awkward and shifted in her seat.

After 5 mins, her warm plate of food sat on the table, waiting to be eaten. She stared at the food, then her hands and to the knife and fork. Crap.

Ayanami took the knife and fork and started cutting the egg into smaller pieces. He used the fork and poked an egg and held it up to Selaena.

"Here, you can't use your hands right?"

"Yea but I can manage..."

"Just eat it."

Selaena opened her mouth and the egg went in. She heard a soft 'aw' in the background. She blushed madly.

"Everyone's staring..." she whispered.

Ayanami looked around. Sure enough, everyone single person in the canteen stared at them. Some were trying to hide their chuckling and others were whispering things.

The atmosphere became cold suddenly. Selaena knew it came from him. Everybody immediately turned back to eating their breakfast, no longer any staring at that certain table.

Ayanami turned back and helped Selaena finish the last of her food.

"Thanks...a lot," she mumbled.

Ayanami flashed a smile.

The other Black Hawks started chuckling. The Chief of Staff threw a glare at them and they quietened down.

"I'll be at the huge balcony there," Selaena uttered and got up from her seat.

"Be careful," Ayanami warned.

Selaena nodded her head and walked off, her black dress swishing around. She didn't even know how to get there in the first place. Nevertheless, she used her common sense and eventually found her way to the balcony that looked over the rest of the military. She could even see the Church where Frau and his companions were at.

Selaena breathed in the fresh air. The balcony was huge, a bit smaller than the courtyard, and it had a few lounge chairs and sofas. She bounced onto one, sat back and closed her eyes.

She felt a tap on her shoulder and opened her eyes. She came face to face with Mikage. Strangely, his hair was blonde now.

"Why is your hair blonde now?"

Mikage tilted his head.

"My hair was always blonde..."

"It was green wasn't it?"

"No..."

Selaena began to think that she was colour blind.

"Ok never mind... Why are you here?"

"I saw you and I thought I come say hi."

Selaena felt the atmosphere turn cold. She stood up from the sofa and looked around.

A ghost stood there, holding the scythe that once belonged to Veloren. Selaena hissed at him and the face of the ghost turned to Frau.

"You do know that scythe does not belong to you?" Selaena warned.

"I've come to take you back again."

"What if I refuse?"

"I'll take you away by force again."

Selaena frowned and took a step back. Mikage walked in front of her.

"Stay away from Ayanami's girl," Mikage warned and took a step forward, drawing his zaiphon.

"His girl? His girl?! She was mine and he took her away from me! Get your facts straight boy, you weren't even in the lab when this happened."

Frau changed back into his ghost form and charged at Mikage. Mikage launched his zaiphon at Zehel and quickly took Selaena away. The ghost's scythe hit the ground where the two youngsters once stood.

"Mikage you should go. This is about me don't get yourself involved," Selaena said.

"I have to protect you. Can you send a mental message to Ayanami or something?"

"I'll try."

Another blow from Zehel and Mikage got his arm sliced a bit. Selaena gasped and wielded her scythe. She disappeared and appeared behind Zehel and delivered a blow to his back.

"Stop this and go back to the Church!" she hissed.

Zehel moved at supernatural speed to hit her. Selaena blocked his attack. The weapons clashed and sparks flew.

"I don't want to hurt you."

"Then leave," Selaena hissed and pushed Zehel back and kicked him in the ribs.

The ghost cringed and stepped back. Mikage ran over to Selaena and checked if she was alright.

"Dude, I can handle myself."

"Ayanami would kill me if anything happened to you."

Suddenly the doors leading to the inside of the building burst opened and Ayanami came walking in with a very pissed face.