Chapter 6: Exploration

Selaena left the bedroom and found herself in the living room. Yesterday had been a blur, due to the joy of being reunited with Ayanami, she didn't even take a good look at the place she was now residing in.

The living room was pretty big, a decent size. A HD resolution TV leaned against the side of a wall with a coffee table in front of it, with leather sofas surrounding it. The wall was made of stone, reminding her of the times she spent with Ayanami in their cabin in the woods. That was way before Ayanami joined the military. Before she had died.

The kitchen was connected to the living room by an arch. It had the necessary equipment like a stove, oven, microwave and even blenders and baking stuff. A small dining table sat at the corner.

There was a huge wooden door in the living room and Selaena, curious, opened it. She was greeted with the sight of a long corridor where the walls were covered with glass, and flowers that were placed in order along the way. So this was the entrance. Ayanami must have definitely given her a room that was special.

She closed the main door and headed to what she assumed was the bathroom. It was gigantic, in her opinion. Separate cubicles for the shower and toilet, massive sink split into two sections with all sorts of body lotion lining the marble counters. Even a toothbrush, toothpaste and hair comb was set aside for her in the corner in a small cylindrical container. There were many types of shampoo and body soap sitting on the glass panel in the shower.

The highlight of the bathroom was the huge tub in the middle. Selaena assumed it functioned like a Jacuzzi or even a spa. It overlooked the whole of Barsburg Military, with huge glass windows and blinds to cover it if in need of privacy.

Selaena was in awe, she doubted the other recruits in the military got rooms this big. Hers wasn't even considered a room.

She decided to freshen up first before heading out to explore the military base. She brushed the tangles in her hair out and pulled on a grey sweater and black jeggings she got from the walk-in-wardrobe in the bedroom. She tugged a pair of ankle-high black boots on and turned the knob, leading her to the long glass corridor.

Since there was only one way to go, she followed the corridor until the path forked, and she took the left. She passed by what looked like several other apartments and ended up in the concourse. The higher-ups seem to reside here. Selaena guessed that this was the headquarters.

The concourse was a small garden with a nice fountain in the middle. Birds regularly came in to have a drink.

She walked further and seemed to land herself in the area where the students frequent for their lessons. She stayed on the outside, not wanting attention. The other male students already seemed to notice her though, whispering among themselves while some were staring wide-mouthed at her.

A blonde-haired boy passed by her, making glances at her, he seemed to realise she was lost. Selaena smiled nervously at him, and she swore he just gulped.

"Um, can I help you?" he asked, clearing his throat halfway.

"Yea... I'm kinda new here. Do you know where Ayanami is?"

"Oh, the Chief of Staff? I'll take you there, I've got some free time," he said, gesturing behind him.

Selaena followed the young boy through the maze of corridors and exits, until they came upon a similar-concourse that Selaena had seen.

"Your name?" she asked politely.

"Michael Reiss. What about yours? Girls are a rare sight in Barsburg military," Michael replied.

"Selaena...and I'm not really a recruit here..."

Michael raised his brow at her before realization dawned upon him, he laughed and gave her a knowing wink, "Aha, I see~"

Selaena fought the blush creeping onto her face.

Michael led her to another huge carved wooden door and stopped. He gestured to the door, indicating Ayanami's office. The door had his position carved into it.

"Here's your stop, I'll see you some other time if we're going to. See ya," he waved before walking back in the direction they came.

Selaena knocked twice on the door, hearing a muffled 'come in' before pushing them open with slight effort. Wooden doors were surprisingly heavy.

Ayanami was heavily focussed on his work but he raised his head the minute Selaena closed the doors behind her.

He moved to stand in front of her in a flash, taking Selaena by surprise.

"What're you doing here? I thought I said I'll come find you later?" he asked, gazing into her eyes.

"Decided to explore, you know you can't keep me indoors all the time."

"Indeed. But how did you find your way here?"

"This young man by the name of Michael Reiss led me here," Selaena muttered, slightly bothered by the fact that both of them were really close to each other.

"Did he hit on you?"

"Ayanami!" Selaena gasped.

"That means no. I should promote him for that," Ayanami grinned.

"Why did you even think that he would do something like that?"

"You, my dear," he raised his hand to caress her cheek, "don't even know how beautiful you are."

Selaena blushed furiously, her cheeks heating and she knew Ayanami felt it. He leaned down slowly, and Selaena's eyes drooped. He kissed her, deep and wonderful, slow and amazing, and both felt themselves connect again after 5 years of separation.

Then the door banged open.