Chapter 5: Beginnings

"Feels shitty doesn't it?" Ayanami taunted Zehel.

That caught his attention, Zehel looked up to glare fiercely at the Chief of Staff. Selaena stepped in front of Ayanami, protective. That action hurt Zehel greatly, he was near breaking point.

"Don't listen to him," Ea muttered.

"What you're feeling now is exactly how I felt 5 years ago, just worse. Now I have her back...at the expense of yours," Ayanami continued, merciless.

Zehel lost it, he yelled loudly and summoned his scythe, aiming for Ayanami. Ayanami, accepting the challenge, pushed Selaena aside to meet his attack.

Their weapons clashed again. Metal against metal. Zehel raised his scythe and struck down repeatedly but the Chief of Staff would deflect his blows with his sword. Ayanami jumped backwards onto one of the desks and hit a computer off, the screen cracking. Zehel kicked it like a soccer ball, hoping it would distract Ayanami whilst he went in for the attack. Ayanami expected the distraction, and avoided both the poor computer and Zehel's attack.

Selaena was about to step in when the other Ghosts blocked her path.

"Out of my way," she snapped.

Feist grabbed her arm, shaking her in hopes of bringing Victoria back. Selaena snarled at him like a wolf and yanked her arm back.

"Feist! Bring her back! Go first!" Zehel yelled just as he dodged a blow from Ayanami.

The Chief of Staff panicked for a moment, his gaze fell towards Selaena whose eyes were wide and fierce with anger. Zehel took the opportunity to land a hit on him.

Ayanami was lucky and managed to dodge with just a small slash on his shoulder. He quickly made his way towards Selaena, grabbed her by the arm and pulled her away from the Ghosts.

Selaena noticed the slash on his shoulder, the cloth ripped and the wound bleeding.

"You bastard!" she hissed fiercely at Zehel who just watched her with horror on his face, not quite understanding that Victoria was gone.

Ayanami pushed her behind him, protecting her, his sword raised and ready to strike.

"Zehel, we should go. We'll figure this out when we have a clear head," Ea said.

"No, we will bring her back now," Zehel retorted.

"Zehel, we go now. There's nothing you can do," Feist said.

Zehel took another last look at the unfamiliar girl that used to be his lover before vanishing along with the other ghosts.

Ayanami relaxed and slid his sword back into the sheath. Turning around, he came face to face with a still slightly mad Selaena.

...

The brightness of the room woke her up. Selaena shifted under the covers and slowly opened her eyes.

The ceiling of the bedroom was a nice peachy-pink, and had a cool-looking ceiling light in the middle. A white dream catcher dangled from there too.

She turned to the left, eyes closed and adjusting herself. When she opened her eyes again, Ayanami was lying on the bed next to her.

"Christ! What the hell are you doing in my bedroom?" she yelled in surprise.

Ayanami raised a brow, "what's wrong with me being here?"

"I need my privacy! I literally just woke up."

"You clearly have forgotten the times where we both sl-"

"Okay! It's too early in the morning, please," Selaena blurted out, a blush blooming on her face. Ayanami grinned.

He leaned in to give a kiss on her forehead, lingering there for awhile before moving away.

"I got work to be done. I'll find you later," he said, voice a little husky. He then lifted himself from the bed and made his way out, closing the door behind him.

Selaena didn't know she had been holding her breath the whole time. She felt so delighted to be back. Being dead and stuck inside some girl's body for 5 years made her miss Ayanami so much that it hurt. She couldn't exactly stand to be away from him at all.

She ran her hand through her messy bed hair, and slipped out of bed.