Chapter 8: Not Bad

Ayanami awkwardly led the Black Hawks as well as Selaena to the canteen. They passed by many various cliques and groups of men who either gawked at Selaena, and then got their asses kicked by Ayanami, or started to shake just because the Black Hawks were in front of them. It was a pretty interesting experience for Selaena.

She had no clue what kind of importance the Black Hawks were to the military, but considering the various expressions on the recruits when they walked past, she would guess they were really impressive.

They were clearly nearing the canteen due to the noise level steadily increasing. There were two boys who were strolling in front to the entrance of the canteen.

Ayanami narrowed his eyes in annoyance and cleared his throat loudly. The two men stopped chatting and turned around. Selaena swore she had never seen something so funny in her life.

They immediately parted, rapidly grabbing the handles of the glass canteen doors and pulled it open for the Black Hawks through.

Ayanami led the group in while Selaena gave a thankful smile.

The canteen was bustling with chatter and laughter, but slowly everyone took notice of the newcomers. Everyone literally just stopped talking to stare at the Black Hawks.

"Done staring?" Ayanami asked sarcastically. Everyone immediately turned away to continue eating.

They picked a table at the side and Selaena remained, to watch over the seats while the rest of the men went to get food. They walked really slowly, feeling slightly awkward because they had never gone to the canteen for breakfast before.

Selaena was staring outside at the spectacular view when she felt a tap on the shoulder. She turned around and saw Michael smiling at her. He whispered something to his friend behind him, probably to tell him to go ahead first.

"Hey Michael," she greeted.

"Yo. Can I sit?" he gestured to the seat beside her.

Selaena nodded and Michael took his seat. They began to chat about the military and their home towns. They hit it off pretty well. She also found out that they were both the same age and had birthdays close to each other.

Meanwhile Ayanami was staring at the foreign-looking menu at the corner together with the rest of the group.

"Aya-tan, you know what to eat?" Hyuuga asked while sucking on another fresh lollipop.

Konatsu was busy deciding between a classic English breakfast or just some Asian pau. Kuroyori was just shaking her/his (???) bottle of liquid stuff while Haruse carried her/him.

"I don't kn-" he turned to glance at Selaena and saw her laughing. There was a blonde-haired guy beside her. He narrowed his eyes.

"Konatsu, English breakfast it is," he muttered coldly and dragged said man along with him to the front of the queue. Everyone parted like the red sea for the group.

Selaena's stomach began to growl again and Michael seemed to notice, for he raised his brow in question. Embarrassed, she mumbled that she was hungry.

"Do you want me to get you food?" Michael asked out of concern.

Selaena was about to politely decline when she spotted Ayanami, oh dear.

"No she doesn't need you to," Ayanami replied for her, cold and menacing. Michael's eyes widened before he shot to his feet. He quickly bowed, excusing himself and mumbling a quick 'bye' to Selaena before rushing off.

Ayanami took his seat and passed the plate of food to Selaena, who glared at him.

"What?" he shrugged. The rest of the group began to take the seats, laughing.

"You scared him!"

"I didn't. I just replied him for you."

Selaena face-palmed.

Everybody began to eat, chatting at the same time. Selaena watched Kuroyori drip her/his weird substance all over the food. How strange.

Breakfast was enjoyable. Selaena, who was practically dead for 5 years, hadn't had an enjoyable meal in quite a while. Even Ayanami tried to make small talk.

Haruse seemed to love to crack jokes, lame ones though. Hyuuga just went on and on about his love for lollipops and Konatsu just kept pleading with Selaena to help with his paperwork. Katsuragi just kept on his smiling face. Kuroyori just played with her/his food.

"Breakfast is not quite bad actually," everyone decided.

"I told you! We always gotta make the first meal of the day a good one," Selaena grinned.

Ayanami grunted in response and the rest continued to chit chat.

"It's not bad," Ayanami mumbled.

"Exactly," she smiled, poking his cheek.

Then she recalled she was in the canteen. She turned to the front and realised everyone was staring. She laughed awkwardly and looked down while Ayanami cleared his throat and glared at everyone.

This was definitely going on some social media website.