"I have to unpack these," I said. "Put them on the shelves. Add them to the database. I have to set up a new shelf. I have to make a few journals because somehow they just keep getting sold out, which I love, but hate, too." I tugged at the roots of my hair gently. "I want to run away to fucking... Edinburgh."

He chuckled. "Why Edinburgh?"

I shrugged. "I wanted to go there, for college."

"Why didn't you?"

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Um-" I scratched my thumb, digging my fingernail in. "I- fucking hell." I stood, walking away from him. "You didn't have to stay after dropping me off, you know?"

He stood, hooking his hands in his trousers as his curious eyes examined mine. "I thought I'd stay with you. Yesterday was tough."

"Well, whoever it was, he is gone. And I doubt he'd attack me in my store."

"Dahlia, darling." He stepped closer and looked down at me. "I doubt a little store will keep him away."

"Lucian, darling," I mocked. "What makes you think that?"

He chuckled, shaking his head. "This is a tiny shop, and while I'm sure many of your hardbacks can prove to be excellent weapons, I doubt they'll keep someone who wants to hurt you away."

"It was probably a robber," I said.

"There were three cars in the driveway, Dahlia."

I gulped. "Maybe he wanted to hurt one of you."

"Or he could see you in the room because your lamp was on."

I dug my fingernails into my thumb. He took my hands in his, threading them together.

He kissed my thumbs. "Now, Dahlia. I have to say, I like your hands a bit too much for them to be this hurt." He looked at the wounds on them. "Let's put bandaids on them?"

I nodded. "Okay," I whispered.

All of them, as if assigned schedules showed up just as one left. First, it was Lucian, then Andros, Hedeon, and now, just when I thought I was alone as I walked out of the shelter, Alexandre was standing leaning against his car.

I paused. "What you are you doing here?"

"I'm here to keep you safe, Dahlia," he said quietly. "Can I drive you home?"

I sighed. "No one is attacking me, Alexandre. That man probably saw a woman alone and decided to try his luck. I doubt it was personal."

"Here's the thing." He took my bag from my hands and put it in his car. I had left mine at Monet's house in the morning because I, being very smart, had somehow left the driver seat window down just a bit, and now the whole seat was wet.

"What?" I asked.

"Let us look after you for a few days, just to make sure it wasn't personal. Worst care scenario - we keep you safe if it turns out to be personal."

I eyed him. "I'm...I don't like being looked after like this. I'm not used to it. I...like you guys, I suppose. But this will get overbearing, and I'd hate myself if I say something mean to you."

He smiled. "I can take whatever you say to me."

"You shouldn't have to."

"Nothing would hurt more than you getting hurt."

. . .

"He may try to scratch you in the night, the living room is kind of his space."

Alexandre chuckled, taking the blanket from my hands. "I can handle a cat and in case you've forgotten, he loves me."