THE GREAT WAR

The Great War

The Great War

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃ ᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

The sterile hospital room felt suffocating as Shuri sat by Ada's bedside, her gaze fixed on her girlfriend's face. Okoye stood quietly at the doorway, her heart aching for her friend. After a heavy silence, Shuri finally spoke up, her voice shaky. "Okoye, I've been thinking... Nakia invited me to go to Haiti with her for a while. She thinks it might help me clear my head."

Okoye's eyebrows furrowed with concern as she walked closer to Shuri. "Shuri, are you sure about this? Leaving now, when Ada needs you the most?"

Shuri's eyes welled up with tears, but she held them back, her fists clenched. "I don't know what to do anymore, Okoye. It's like... I can't even help her. I can't fix this."

Okoye gently placed a hand on Shuri's shoulder. "You're right, you can't control what's happening to Ada. But you also can't let guilt or fear guide your decisions. What if she wakes up and you're not here?"

Shuri sighed heavily, wiping a tear from her cheek. "I've thought about that, Okoye. But I can't just keep waiting and feeling helpless."

Okoye nodded, understanding Shuri's turmoil. "I get it, Shuri. But you have to think long-term. You don't want to make a decision now that you'll regret later on."

Shuri looked down at her hands, her voice barely above a whisper. "The doctors told me that Ada might never wake up. They said there's a chance... a chance she might not make it."

Okoye's eyes softened with sympathy, and she moved to sit next to Shuri. "I'm so sorry, Shuri. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you."

Tears streamed down Shuri's face as she turned to Okoye. "Okoye, if I decide to go to Haiti, can you do something for me?"

Okoye nodded solemnly. "Of course, Shuri. Anything."

Shuri took a deep breath, her voice quivering. "Can you please let Ada's parents know what's happening? And if... if she doesn't wake up, can you make sure she knows that I love her more than anything?"

Okoye's heart ached for her friend, and she pulled Shuri into a comforting embrace. "I promise, Shuri. I'll take care of everything. I'll make sure Ada's parents are informed, and I'll let her know how much you love her. And if you do decide to go, I'll look after her as if she were my own family."

Shuri held onto Okoye tightly, her tears soaking into her friend's shoulder. "Thank you, Okoye. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Okoye held Shuri gently, offering her a silent promise of support in this heartbreaking moment. "You're not alone in this, Shuri. We'll get through it together."

-

Shuri was dropped off at Nakia's house in Haiti. She walked around and looked. She saw Nakia and smiled. "Hey." She hugged her and welcomed her. She wanted to ask about Ada, but she didn't want to overwhelm her or anything. "It's good to see you. Everything is ready. Just give me one moment, eh?"

"Actually," she stopped her. "I think I should do it on my own."

"Of course," Nakia nodded.

Shuri walked with her backpack out to the beach near a firepit that was going. She sat down on a log and took the white clothing out of her bag. She then took a necklace that Ada gave her out as well. She threw the clothing into the fire and watched it burn.

She kissed the necklace and threw it in, only thinking of her family. She stifled her sobs, before letting them go. She thought of her brother, her mother, and her love. She lost her entire family.

But they continue to live on in her mind and her heart.

And they will never be forgotten.

~ Isiphelo ~

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐑 // 𝐒𝐇𝐔𝐑𝐈 𝐔𝐃𝐀𝐊𝐔 🎉