THIRTY FOUR

grief

grief

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃ ᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

Grief. It's a funny feeling. It's a funny word.

When grief is overwhelming and powerful, it can seem to have no end. Grief this extensive is called complicated grief, which affects between 10% to 20% of grievers.

For many people, the most difficult time is the first several days or weeks. After that time, these individuals gradually return to their daily routines and normal activity. This is a common experience for adults grieving the death of a parent.

For an adult with complicated grief, emotions become overwhelming and difficulty with daily functioning goes on for much longer. These individuals need additional guidance and support to process their loss.

Shuri was one of those individuals.

Grief is a natural human emotion and response to loss. It can be described as a complex and intense feeling of sadness, pain, and longing that arises when we experience a significant loss or change. Grief can be triggered by a variety of losses, including the death of a loved one, the end of a relationship, the loss of a job or home, a serious illness or injury, or even a major life transition.

Grief is a process that typically involves a range of emotional, behavioral, and physical reactions. Some common emotional reactions to grief include feelings of sadness, anger, guilt, loneliness, and despair. Behavioral reactions can include changes in appetite, sleep patterns, and social interactions. Physical symptoms of grief can include fatigue, headaches, and other bodily discomforts.

While grief can be a painful and challenging experience, it is also an important part of the healing process. It allows us to process our feelings, come to terms with our loss, and eventually find a way to move forward. Grief can be experienced in different ways by different people, and there is no "right" or "wrong" way to grieve. It is a highly personal and individual experience, and it can take time to work through the various stages of grief.

It's only been a little under a month since T'Challa passed, but they were the hardest ever.

Shuri was struggling to come to terms with the loss of her brother, T'Challa. She had always been close to him, and his sudden death had left her shattered. Despite her efforts to keep herself busy with work and research, she couldn't shake off the feeling of emptiness that consumed her.

Instead of dealing with her grief in a healthy way, Shuri turned to unhealthy coping mechanisms. She started to distance herself from her friends and family, spending most of her time alone in her lab. She also started to drink heavily and often found herself losing track of time, waking up in her lab hours later, disoriented and hungover.

Ada noticed the changes in her behavior and tried to help her process her grief. However, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't seem to get through to her. Ada tried to encourage her to talk about her feelings and to seek professional help, but Shuri refused to listen.

Shuri's self-destructive behavior only worsened as time passed. She became more and more withdrawn, lashing out at those who tried to reach out to her. Ada was at a loss for what to do, feeling helpless and frustrated as she watched the person she loved fall deeper into a pit of despair.

Despite the challenges, Ada refused to give up on Shuri. She continued to offer her support, even when it seemed like nothing was working. She would stay up late at night, watching over Shuri as she slept, making sure she was safe.

Ada had always been there for Shuri, holding her when she cried and listening when she needed to talk. But as time went on, Ada's own grief began to take a toll on her. Late at night, when Shuri was asleep, Ada would find herself crying, remembering every moment she had spent with T'Challa. She missed him so much, and the pain seemed unbearable.

At first, Ada tried to talk to Shuri about her grief, but Shuri didn't seem to understand. She didn't know how to help Ada, and sometimes Ada felt like Shuri didn't even want to try. Ada knew that Shuri was dealing with her own grief, but it still hurt that she couldn't be there for Ada the way Ada had been there for her.

Over the course of just days, Ada stopped trying to talk to Shuri about her grief. It seemed like there was no point, and it only made Ada feel worse when Shuri didn't seem to understand. Instead, Ada tried to deal with her grief by herself, crying herself to sleep and remembering everything she and T'Challa had done together. It's not that she didn't want to help, it's just it was worsening her own mental health, and if she couldn't be there for Shuri in the way she wanted, she couldn't be there for herself.

Ada felt hurt that Shuri hadn't helped her with her grief, but she didn't blame her girlfriend. She knew that everyone grieves differently and that Shuri was still dealing with her own loss. Ada just wished that Shuri could be there for her the way she had been there for Shuri.

Despite everything, Ada still loved Shuri. She knew that they could get through this together, even if it was hard. Ada just had to find a way to deal with her grief, and hope that Shuri would eventually be able to help her through it while dealing with her own.

But they had no idea what was to come in the next year. No one knew what was to happen to their Wakanda.

ONE YEAR LATER