THIRTY

cats out of the bag

cats out of the bag

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃ ᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

"Queen Mother," Ada said as she entered the room. Ramonda looked back at Ada and smiled brightly at her. Ada nervously stepped forward, her heart racing as she tried to figure out how to explain. She had done the unthinkable, becoming the Second Black Panther without the Queen's approval. She knew it was time Ramonda knew. She steeled herself and finally found the courage to meet her gaze.

"Queen Mother, I come to you bearing a heavy burden," she began, her voice quavering. "The truth is, I know who the Second Black Panther is."

"Who?" she immediately responded.

"Me," she breathed out. She felt the stare on her as she tried her hardest not to break in front of Ramonda.

Queen Ramonda pursed her lips, her eyes narrowing as she stared at Ada. "Explain," she commanded.

Ada gulped and continued. "My parents, Ime and Baako, chose me to become the Second Black Panther. I did not ask for this; it was their decision alone. I couldn't refuse. I was only 14. From that moment on, all I ever wanted was to protect Wakanda as best as I could."

The Queen's face was a mask of fury. "You have disobeyed me," she said, her voice icy. "Your parents should have known better. As punishment, I am banning them from Wakanda and forbidding them from ever returning. However, I shall make an exception for you, Ada, for I know you never wanted this. Your loyalty to Wakanda is commendable, and it is because of this that I will not punish you."

Ada bowed her head in gratitude. She had been expecting the worst, but she was relieved that the Queen had chosen to show her mercy. She felt some tears leave her eyes already, but tried not to show them.

"This matter is now closed," the Queen said, her voice still cold. "You may leave."

Ada bowed her head one last time and quickly exited the chamber. As she walked away, she couldn't help but feel a knot of guilt in her chest. She had broken the Queen's trust, and she could only hope that she would be able to earn it back someday. She finally let the tears escape as she left the room.

"Ada?" she heard a voice. She turned around and saw Shuri. She immediately went and hugged her girlfriend, feeling terrible.

"Come on, come on," she helped her girlfriend into their shared room in the palace together. When everyone came back, everything went back to normal. They've just been more careful.

"What happened?" Shuri asked.

"I feel so guilty. I betrayed my parents by telling your mom what they did. I just couldn't keep it a secret anymore."

"Ada, please don't cry. You didn't betray anyone. You did what was best for Wakanda and its people. Your parents are proud of you."

"But I'm still so afraid. I'm afraid that I'm going to disappoint them. I'm afraid I won't make them proud."

"Ada, you have nothing to be afraid of. You made the best decision you could under the circumstances. It wasn't easy, but it was the right thing to do. Trust me, your parents are proud of you. I'm sure of it."

"I want to believe you, but I'm still so scared. I'm scared of what will happen if I can't live up to their expectations. Shuri, she banished them from Wakanda. They can't ever come back. How will I ever see them again? I'm so stupid."

"Ada, you don't have to worry. Your parents love you, and they want you to do what's right. They don't expect perfection. They just want you to be the best version of yourself. You aren't stupid."

"That's easier said than done."

"I know. It's hard to be the person we want to be and make the decisions that are best for us. That's why I'm here. To help you make the right choices and to be there for you when you make mistakes."

"Thank you, Shuri. I love you."

"I love you, too. I'm always here for you. No matter what. No one should have to go through what you went through. You have my support and encouragement. You can make this right. I know you can."

"They're gonna hate me forever."

"They might," she shrugged. "But I never will."

Within the next few days, Ime and Baako were banished from Wakanda. Ada had very few things in her small house with her parents, but the things she did have, she took and permanently moved into the palace.

Ime and Baako had accepted their fate and knew their reputation was ruined. Wakandan still didn't know who the Second Black Panther was, but they knew Ime and Baako had involvement.

And Ada kind of enjoyed it.

As much as she loved her parents, she hated them for what they did to her. And now they were finally getting what they deserved, what they knew was coming.

And Ada could finally be happy for the first time in a long time.