THIRTY TWO

bast

bast

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃ ᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

As Shuri and Ada stood in the elevator, nerves were high. T'Challa had been sick again for a little over three weeks, and his health was declining very fast. It wasn't good for anyone.

"Bast," Shuri started whispering as her hands collided together. As a reflex, Ada put her hands on top of Shuri's, listening to her girlfriend's words.

"Time is running out. Please allow me to heal my brother of this illness, and I will never question your existence again."

The elevator doors opened, and Shuri's tough front went on. Ada was very worried for T'Challa as well as Shuri, but she has strong. She's been helping Shuri and other scientists to recreate the Heart-Shaped Herb, the one key thing needed to heal T'Challa.

"His heart rate is dropping fast," Shuri said as soon as she walked into the lab with Ada behind her. "Where are we?"

Ada walked to her little desk, going back to research. It took up most of her time nowadays, and she hoped that the herb could be recreated very soon so everything could just get back to normal.

"We are finishing a sequence now," a scientist responded to the princess.

"GRIOT," she spoke to her AI, "give me the controls."
"As you wish, Princess."

Shuri started messing with the DNA cell hologram, looking back and forth while trying to figure a strategy out. She put the little ball back with the others as most of them flashed red.

"What's the confidence rate?" Shuri asked her AI.
"25%."

"We'll have to try another way," she sighed.

"King T'Challa's heart rate has fallen to 31 beats per minute."

"Princess," a scientist spoke, "you should go be by his side."

"I have to think. Everyone, get out," she said. When no one left, she yelled. "Get out!" Everyone besides Ada left.

Ada was looking through everything to find a way to almost perfectly recreate the Heart-Shaped Herb, but most of the same was appearing. Nothing helpful.

"What is the confidence rate?" Shuri asked GRIOT as she placed a different ball back with the DNA cell hologram."
"29.1%."

"Print it!"

Ada heard Shuri come up the stairs, so she went by her side to see the herb being printed.

"Princess, I am aware of the urgency, but I must warn you, this synthetic Heart-Shaped Herb has a minimal chance of producing the desired effects."

"I don't care," she snapped, grabbing Ada's hand. "Has to work."

The machine whirled as the herb was printing. Shuri squeezed tightly onto Ada's hand, trying to ground herself and convince herself that it would work. As she said herself, it has to.

The herb finished printing after what felt like a lifetime. She let go of Ada's hand and grabbed it just when she saw her mother walk into the room. Her face was stained with tears and Shuri's worst nightmare felt like reality.

"GRIOT," she spoke.
"Yes, Princess?"

"What's my brother's heart rate?"

No response.

"Your brother is with the ancestors."

Shuri's heart broke. She stepped back a little, trying to convince herself her mother was lying. "No," she cried, holding out the herb in her hands, trying to show her mother that it finally printed, just a minute too late.

She felt her heart drop into her stomach. She dropped the herb on the floor as she fell to her knees, letting the tears go. Ada managed to catch her before she fell on her side as she let out sobs of anguish. Ramonda knelt beside Ada and Shuri and cried with her daughter.

Even in that moment, that excruciating, painful moment, Ada kept her tears in, letting only a few escape, because she knew she needed to be strong for her girlfriend.

She had no idea what was to come. All she knew was that she needed to be strong.

 All she knew was that she needed to be strong