SIX

where were you?

where were you?

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃ ᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

Ads walked into Shuri's lab the next day, smiling for no reason other than she got to see her best friend. But Shuri wasn't happy.

Shuri was pissed off at Ada. She left her and didn't tell her where she was going. Shuri was concerned. She felt very strongly for Ada, but she couldn't figure out what she was feeling for her.

Ada came into Shuri's lab, going straight to her best friend. She hugged her shoulders from behind but was met with Shuri shrugging her arms off.

"What's wrong?" Ada asked.

"'What's wrong'? Are you kidding me?"

"Shuri, what's wrong? What did I do?"

Shuri scoffed and walked over to a table in her lab. "Where were you?"

"I already told you last night. I was with my mom. She needed me at the last minute."

"Ada, don't lie to me," she said in a quieter tone. "I know you weren't with her. I asked both of your parents last night. Last night after my brother needed us because he, Nakia, and Okoye encountered Klaue."

"Shuri..."

"Don't 'Shuri' me. I was worried about you! I had no idea where you were! You cannot scare me like that!"

"Shuri, I'm sorry I wasn't here. I was... busy."

"Where were you? Don't lie to me this time."

"I... I was... meeting someone at the border."

Shuri's jaw slightly dropped as she felt her heart drop as well. She didn't know why she felt hurt, but she did.

"You were talking to someone at the border?" She said in a quiet voice.

"Yes," Ada looked down. "I was. But, please... don't tell your mother. I could get in serious trouble. I don't want that."

"I don't either. But, Ada, you have to understand that that can expose us. Expose Wakanda. You put yourself and Wakanda in danger."

"I know, Shuri. I'm sorry. I just saw him one day and I kept coming back."

"Ada... You can't keep doing that."

"Why?"

"Because I said so," she snapped a little. Ada cocked her head to the side a little.

"Are you jealous?" She asked.

"What? No. I have no reason to be. We're friends. Just friends. Only friends."

Ada's jaw slightly dropped as she felt her heart drop as well. She knew why she felt hurt, and she still couldn't get over it.

"Ada... I really, really—"

Shuri's sentence got cut short as she and Ada's Kimoyo beads started going off.

"It's my brother," she said as she flicked a bead onto her palm.

"Shuri. Ada, welcome back. We're coming back home with another person. We need your lab, Shuri."

"Yes, Brother. We'll be ready."

"Shuri..." Ada tried as the call went away.

"We'll finish the conversation later," she said as she started walking away. Ada grabbed her wrist and pulled her back, accidentally making them closer than she intended to.

"Shuri—"

Shuri left Ada's grip and started waking to the other side of her lab, knowing Ada wouldn't follow her. Moments later, she heard her leave, knowing she'd be back soon.

Shuri took that time as an opportunity to take some deep breaths and let some tears fall. Her breathing became quick and it turned into hyperventilating, which turned into a small panic attack. Shuri didn't know why she was having one at the moment. She didn't know what caused it.

But then she realized.

Earlier, when she was close to Ada, everything sort of changed. Her palms became sweaty, her heart started beating ferociously, and she noticed features on Ada's face she didn't before and the way she looked into Ada's eyes... it changed.

She didn't look into them with platonic love anymore.

It was romantic love.

And it was the worst feeling in the world for her.