Chapter 15: "the right thing for the both of us"

Alex POV

After working uninterruptedly until 11pm, I returned home and trying not to make any noise, I soon went to sleep considering the time at which I was supposed to go to work the following morning.

It was 6:30 in the morning when I arrived at the hospital, and rolling up my sleeves I set to work. I took a probably excessive dose of coffee looking at my cup, and sat with some patient files down next to Molly, who had had to spend a sleepless night at work.

-And what about me?
Please tell me that's mine....I think I'll fall asleep on these files sooner or later... -

I looked at the girl for a moment, and though reluctantly I gave her my coffee.

"...all right...have it...but first..." I smiled and then stole a generous sip. Molly inevitably rolled her eyes and I could only smile amused by that.

"...some news? Did you take the samples from the ward?"
-mhmh- she murmured as she downed some good coffee
-...yep, they're checking everything at the lab...results as usual should be out by 8:00 a.m...business as usual...rather...did you tell Elise?-
"Telled her what?"
-about Lucy...-
"...no...there was no occasion..."
-Are you sure?-
"What should I tell her, Molly? That unfortunately there is a case similar to hers and that she's even younger... no... I don't want to bring back unpleasant memories..."
-...maybe instead it would be useful to go further, definitively...Elise is fine and I'm sure Lucy will be better too...it just takes a lot of patience...you too know how it works unfortunately...-"...unfortunately...you said it right..."

Sighing, I got up from my seat and decided to go for a walk and possibly get some fresh air.

I took the elevator and with my mind a bit in the clouds I reached the roof. I observed Los Angeles and its illuminated buildings, but above all I allowed myself to wait a moment and watch the sunrise. I hadn't done it for a long time, lately I was always focused on work, on my anger towards health injustices, on Whitman, and now to make matters worse, I had a new thought in my head: Elizabeth Olsen. I probably wasn't the only one who considered her beauty, her acting skills and her way of just being, yet it was strange to me. I was always focused on simply having to do my duty, yet now during work I hoped for nothing but to see her, to see her smile, hoping for a message or even a look from her. Now, however, all I did was asking to that day to let me see her again, at least before Jarnette was brought home...

"...dream Alex, dream..."

I mumbled and then went back to Molly, getting back to work.

(...)

"And here I am, with your resignation letter Jarnette...and yes, there is everything you may need, as already anticipated...please, drink a lot and exercise, even just a walk..."
-At your orders Doc!
Thanks Doctor Walker, really, for everything. You have been an angel and I really can't help but hope to meet you again on more pleasant occasions!-
"I simply did my duty Mrs. Olsen, but yes, I fully agree with you, especially on the last part! No more hospitals okay? Promise me..."
-No more hospitals...-

I smiled at Trent and the woman as I watched them leaving the room for good and as happy as I seemed, my gut told me otherwise. Elizabeth had not been seen, and my hopes were growing increasingly vain.

(...)

It was now about 11:00 in the morning, and curious to know how Lucy felt after the night spent in her room, I headed to the ward.
Passing in front of the usual room, I could hear the voices of the children getting more curious.

-Are you a witch?-
—Why are your fingers partly black? Did you put your fingers in the paint?—

Dazed, I tried to understand the situation better, but how could I explain the presence of a woman dressed in red, with her hair left free and half of her fingers painted black?