JOURNEY TO LOVE - 28

AMELIA KNIGHT

The beach was a paradise, with waves crashing on the shore and a cool breeze caressing my skin as I strolled along the sandy coast. Emily was giving Alex surfing lessons, mom was relaxing under the umbrella, and Lucas, looking all handsome, was far away fetching us hotdogs.

We were on a mini vacation in Miami to celebrate Alex's upcoming seventeenth birthday, and life felt like a dream with another happy month of our wedding coming close to an end. I couldn't be happier. Alex was doing well and seemed even more cheerful. I finally felt carefree and truly alive, and Lucas never missed a chance to shower me with love and affection. It was like living in a fairy-tale.

Lost in my thoughts about my husband, I heard a voice calling my name from behind. Turning around, I was met by a familiar face with dark grey eyes and black hair.

"Amelia ?"

Straightening my white midi dress, I replied haltingly, "Hello ! Do we know each other ?"

"It's me, Danielle... Danielle Harrison." That name did ring a bell.

"Oh my God ? Danielle ? Like from the high school !" I exclaimed excitedly.

"Yeah, it's so good to see you again. You've grown up into a gorgeous woman." He whispered.

"You look great yourself." I replied. "So, how's life going ?" I asked as we walked together.

"It's going good. After my family moved to the UK, I continued my studies there. I recently came back and tried to get in touch with Lizzy and you, but there was a lock at your door." He explained.

"What about you ? Did your family move here ?" He asked, unaware of my situation.

"No, Danielle. Alex and I still live in New York, and sadly, my parents are no more. They lost their lives in a plane crash five years ago."

"What ! I am so sorry, Amy." He replied sympathetically.

"It was years ago, don't worry." I assured him.

"So, how come I got a chance to meet you in Miami ?" He inquired further.

"Well..." I trailed off, showing him my ring on my left hand.

"You're married !" He practically shouted.

"Yeah, I'm married to the Lucas Knight." I confidently informed him.

"Wow, he's a lucky man." He remarked.

"I'm the lucky one, believe me." I replied.

He wanted to know how, so I briefly shared the story of my life, from Alex's custody case to his treatment, and how Lucas and I ended up getting married.

"He indeed is a good man. I'm happy that finally you're happy." He said with a smile, sneaking a glance at me. "And I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. I don't have any right to be called your friend."

"Don't worry, it's alright. I'm sure you would've tried to help if you were here." I reassured him. Then, shifting the focus to him, I asked about his life and why he came back to the USA.

"I run my law firm in Boston. My partners and I just came to celebrate a big deal that we got." Danielle replied, sitting on the beach.