JOURNEY TO LOVE - 4

AMELIA PARKER

Another day had come to an end, most of our office colleagues had already left but  Lucas and I stayed behind, discussing the details of the new project pictures.

"5 metres is quite deep, we'll need to conduct rigorous testing and simulations to evaluate the structural integrity at different depths. It would be wise to invest in advanced materials and  construction techniques designed for the underwater ecosystem." I suggested.

"You are right, it's essential for the safety of guests and environmental considerations, as well. They are of  paramount importance. Invite best safety and environment experts for lunch. Alright ?" Lucas instructed me.

"Sure. I'll take care of everything else. You should get back home now." I said. He hummed. I smiled, bidding him a good night and collected my belongings before leaving.

Upon reaching home, I found Alex watching television. He greeted me with a smile and moments later, he began coughing. Concerned, I hurried to his side, rubbing his back and fetching him a glass of water from the nearby table.

"Here baby." I handed him the glass. He sipped the water slowly until he felt better. Nina emerged from the bathroom, visibly relieved to see me.

"Are you okay ?" I asked Alex, as he laid his head on my lap.

"Yeah, sis. Its just happens sometimes." He whispered. I gently stroked his hair, knowing that he loves it.

"So, what did you do today ?"

"I read a little from highschool curriculum. Some science. I wish I could have a normal life." He replied. My heart sank, hearing the sadness in his voice.

"You'll soon go to high school, baby." I reassured him, trying to uplift his spirits.

"How was your day ?" He asked me.

"It was good except that Mrs.Knight's car met an accident. Thankfully, she is fine."

"I am glad she is." He responded, his voice tinged with concern.

"I wish we could go to the park, sis. I can't remember the last time I visited one." He expressed, getting up.

"I am sorry, I wasn't able to find a little time for you but I'll ask Lucas if I can take an early leave tomorrow, I am sure he wouldn't deny." I apologized.

"You don't have to be sorry. I know you try your best everyday." He said, his voice filled with understanding and sincerity, reminding me how much he had grown.

"I'll prepare dinner for us—your favourite, Fajitas." I said, heading towards the kitchen. Nina helped me, and soon our meal was ready. After enjoying dinner together, Alex, Nina, and I watched a movie before retiring to our respective bedrooms.

The morning came with its own hustle, I aimed to finish all my work early so that I can spend sometime with Alex. The day was pleasant itself, with a blanket of clouds in the sky and a cool breeze, offering relief from the heat.

It was lunch time and I carried a plate of food for Lucas. As he allowed me in, I placed the food in front of him. When he looked up at me with his sparkling blue eyes, I couldn't help but be reminded of the unique warmth he brings to my life—a warmth I've never found elsewhere and I don't think I ever will.

"Please eat first." I requested him. He gave me a nod and closed the files, starting to twirl the spaghetti on his fork. Taking a seat across from him, I asked about his mother.

"How is Mrs.Knight now ?"

"She is okay." He replied, taking the bite.
"You cook nice, Amelia." He complimented. I smiled and thanked him.