JOURNEY TO LOVE - 8

AMELIA PARKER

The words hung in the air, resonating in my mind as I tried to process what Lucas had just said. "I want to marry you, Amelia." His intense gaze bore into my soul, leaving me speechless and unable to respond. It was such a surreal moment, and the shock of his proposal was like a bomb dropped on my head.

"What ?" I managed to stammer, still struggling to find my voice amidst the overwhelming emotions swirling inside me.

"You heard me." He whispered softly, standing so close that I could feel the warmth of his presence enveloping me. He motioned for me to sit beside him on the sofa, and I obliged.

"Why marrying all of a sudden ? I asked, feeling a mix of curiosity and uncertainty.

"Amelia, for the past four years, my mother has been insisting on getting me married. I always refused, but after her accident when she told me that it's her only wish, and reasoned it. I started thinking that she might be right. And now, I believe she is." He explained, surprising me with his willingness to open up and share his feelings.

"But why me ? Why not date someone ?" I asked, trying to understand his sudden decision.

"You have known me for six years. You know how hard it is for me to open up and go on romantic dates, do cheesy stuff. I can try, but it's not easy. And when I look around, you are the most deserving woman for me to try for." He confessed, his words genuine and sincere. "And also, Alex would never feel lonely with all of us by his side."

His words struck a chord deep within me, and my heart fluttered with admiration and affection for him. "I can assure you that if you say yes to this marriage, I will respect all our vows. I will take care of you and Alex, and all I ask in return is that you love my family like your own and don't expect too much from me. I will try, but I don't want to give you false hope."

I couldn't deny the deep care and respect I had for him, and the idea of being a family with him brought an unfamiliar warmth to my heart.

"I can't force you, but I hope you will think about it once. Will you ?" He politely asked, holding my hand in his, seeking my honest answer. Unable to speak, I simply nodded, my mind racing with thoughts and emotions.

Just then, Alex's slow and weary voice reached my ears, pulling me away from the intensity of the moment. I hurried to his bedside, holding his hand gently as he squinted his eyes, adjusting to the lights.

"Hey." I whispered, gently stroking his hair.

"My body hurts, sis. Am I in a hospital ?" He asked, still groggy from his fainting spell.

"Yeah, you are. You fainted." I replied, trying to soften the impact of the news.

"Oh...uh...your eyes are red. What did the doctor say ?" He asked hesitantly, concerned for me even in his weakened state.

"Nothing to worry about. You just need a little frequent therapy." I assured him, knowing that truth had to be told. His gaze shifted to Lucas, who had silently been listening to our conversation.

"Thanks, Lucas." Alex whispered, noticing the bloodstains on Lucas's shirt. Lucas nodded subtly before excusing himself and leaving the room, giving us some privacy.

"We can go home now." I tried to cheer Alex up, but he seemed lost in thought.

"I feel like I am ruining your life, sis." He said, pain evident in his voice, breaking my heart.