JOURNEY TO LOVE - 7

LUCAS KNIGHT

"Alex !" Amelia's scream echoed through the house as she rushed towards him, but before she could reach the stairs, I caught him just in time, grateful for my longer strides. His faint body lay in my arms, blood dripping from his nose, staining my shirt.

Tears streamed down Amelia's face as she stood there, stunned and speechless.

"Amelia, get my car." I urged, bringing her back to the present. She nodded frantically, grabbing my car keys from the table.

We hurried outside, and I gently placed Alex in the back seat, taking the driver's seat while Amelia sat next to me.

"God, please don't let anything happen to him." She pleaded, her hands clasped together in prayer.

"He is going to be okay." I tried to console her, though comforting people wasn't my strong suit. Her bloodshot eyes met mine, and she nodded. I focused on the road ahead, following Amelia's directions, and soon we arrived at the hospital.

Carrying Alex's unconscious form, I rushed inside. The familiar face of Nina greeted us, and a male nurse quickly brought a stretcher. We gently laid Alex down, and Nina hurriedly called for a doctor.

Alex was admitted to a room, and the doctor started the examination, administering some medications. Amelia stood by the glass window, watching closely, her eyes never leaving him. I stood behind her, feeling helpless and unsure of what to do.

After what seemed like an eternity, the doctor finally emerged from the room, her expression filled with concern. Her gaze flickered between Amelia and me before settling on Amelia as she requested her to follow her to her cabin for a private conversation.

Amelia turned towards me, silently asking me to wait there. I nodded, and she went off with the doctor.

Feeling the weight of worry, I sank onto a bench, waiting anxiously for her return. After what felt like another long wait, she came back, her eyes slightly puffy, her face drained of life. Consumed by emotions, I instinctively moved towards her.

"What happened ?" I asked, and as she looked into my eyes, fresh tears formed in hers. Before I could react, she embraced me tightly, surprising me. I don't remember her ever hugging me before.

After a moment of shock, I wrapped my arms around her, allowing her to cry freely. She held on to me as if I were her anchor, muttering, "She said his cancer seems to be recurring, and he will need frequent therapies. In the worst case, maybe a second surgery." Her voice was muffled, but I managed to understand her words. "I am running out of funds. What the hell do I do ? Why is God being so cruel to us ? Why is he being so cruel to him ?" She kept mumbling.

My heart ached, hearing the pain in her voice. Amelia had been facing life's challenges with immense bravery and strength, all without anyone to lean on.

And that only reminded me of my mother's words: "You will always need someone to rely on."

A part of me wished I could be the one she could rely on because she deserved all the care and support in the world. Maybe I could try to be there for her emotionally, even if it didn't come naturally to me.

As she finally pulled away, I missed the warmth of her embrace.

"I am sorry. I just...I am sorry." She rambled.

"It's alright, Amelia. I understand." I assured her, and she subtly nodded.

"Thank you for bringing him here." She said, offering me a small smile before returning to Alex's room. Sitting down beside him, she held his hand and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

As I watched her, a voice inside me made a decision.

I may not be the most fun person to be with, but I can surely look after them. She deserves happiness, and I'll do my best to give it to her. With Emily and mom around, Alex will never feel lonely.

With this newfound determination, I stepped inside the room. Amelia's gaze fell on me before shifting back to Alex.

"Let me help you, Amelia." I softly said. She looked at me for a moment before walking towards me. Standing before me, gratitude shone in her eyes as she whispered, "You have already done enough for me. I can't burden you with my problems anymore."

"I am not burdened." I told her firmly. "And do you really think I would leave after knowing about your financial problems ?" Her head lowered, and I regretted my words instantly.

"Thank you for being here. But don't worry, I will arrange the finances." She replied, her voice filled with determination.

"May I know how ?" I inquired.

"I will sell my house. There are a couple of people interested in it, and it's too big for just two people." She muttered, her sadness evident in her words.

She can be stubborn, and stubbornness was not my favorite quality in a person.

"Then consider your house sold to me." I declared, and her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"If this is how you want help, then so be it." I stated firmly, not giving her a chance to protest.

She shifted the conversation to something else, asking about what I wanted to talk about earlier.

"This is not the right time for it." I replied.

"No, please tell me. You said it was important." She urged, her eyes searching mine for answers. I could see the concern and curiosity etched on her face as she tried to decipher my emotions.

I approached her, gently taking her hand in mine. She looked surprised by my move but didn't pull back. Our eyes locked momentarily, and in that brief exchange, I hoped she could sense the sincerity and depth of my emotions. I wanted to marry her, not just as a way to help with her financial troubles, but because I genuinely cared for her.

I took a deep breath, gathering my courage to express myself.

"I want to marry you, Amelia." I finally confessed, my voice soft but filled with sincerity.

___________________________________________

Hey Guys !
I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
Please do let me know your views in the comments below.
And please vote, it motivates.

Stay healthy.
Stay safe !!