18• Our cries together

It had been a full day without Noel contacting me, worse, he avoided me on Tuesday and Monday evening. Though puzzled by his sudden, negative attitude toward me again, I tried to concentrate on the Wednesday dinner. Hence, I sent invitations to Ruby and her parents whilst purchasing all the necessary groceries. Moreover, I decided that my mother's family appearance would be a surprise — as well as the reason for the sudden gathering. That was obvious because the last time that we had a home gathering was when mother lived with us.

"That should be it." I clapped my hands after placing the box of delivered dairy products on the kitchen island. Thereafter, I turned on the music and began my one-way ticket to paradise — which is cooking because it was my favourite hobby. Setting the spiced chicken in the microwave, I walked around the room as I tidied up the place and replaced the worn out curtains. If mother had to see the house in a messy state, her assumptions about father's reckless behaviour would be firm.

"You seem to be in a good mood." Father walked toward the front door. "Is your little friend coming over?"

"Oh, Noel?" I chuckled as I arranged the utensils in the dishwasher. "I told you that uncle Nathaniel will be visiting."

"Ugh! That silly youngster." He rubbed his pressed eyebrows and picked up the car keys. "Tell him that I died last month."

"Papa! Are you running away from your godson again? He isn't visiting to check on your health; it's for dinner." My lips curled upwards when I remembered how uncle Nathaniel got on my father's nerves because of his demanding, unfazed approach to dad's rebukes and stubbornness. He was the perfect person to be the medium and avoid being chased away due to my father being his godfather.

It was a secretly caring affection that screamed enemies, but friends. Moreover, he had been married to aunt Emma for less than three years. The last time that uncle visited, he brought numerous bottles of wine and drank it whilst informing his godfather that patients shouldn't partake in alcohol consumption. It was hilarious because he complained about being locked out of his house.

"He always has an excuse to get on my nerves." Papa sighed, causing me to giggle at his remarks. For several seconds, he stood at the door as though debating whether to leave or not until the sound of the unlocked door echoed in the room.

"Getting braver, old man." Dad almost ran toward the stairs when uncle Nathaniel unexpectedly patted his shoulder. After moments of silence, Aunt Emma and Ruby walked in with countless gift bags. "I knew you'd pull up a little resistance to my visit."

"No surprise there. You weren't the one being treated like a weakling when bedded in the hospital." I directed aunt Emma and Ruby toward the living room, as the two arguing men followed behind. "Who are you calling a grey head?" Dad waved his hand over his trimmed, dyed, black hair. Although he was in his middle forties and my mom in her late thirties — they still looked maturely fit.

"When will they be here?" Ruby whispered softly when she sat beside me. Her excitement was very visible by her high pitched-voice, which made me relaxed. "I couldn't believe you when you called, but I'm so proud of your decision. I hope it goes well, and I've already given my parents a heads-up."

"No wonder, I was a little shocked that he hasn't begun deliberately annoying Papa." I laughed, then held her hands. "This means so much to me; thanks for being here."

"I'll always be here for you. Always." Ruby pulled me toward her as she hugged me. "If we fail to reunite both sides, then I'll just adopt you, myself."

"Don't be silly, I'm an adult." Giggling, I playfully pushed her away and stared at the gathered people. Father and uncle Nathaniel had gone to the study room whilst discussing international trade. Left alone, aunt Emma stood in the kitchen as she poured beverages in several glasses. "But, I wouldn't mind it if it is you. Though, I'm not wishing for my dad's death — provided that you act as my maid of honour on my wedding with Noel."