🩷If You Love Me For Me🩷 (Pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

"Haha. Very funny.." Hailey rolled her eyes, looking off to the side. "I'm not trying to be a doormat, you know?"

Jake giggled under his breath and put his arm around her shoulder. Hailey felt herself become warm and fuzzy again when Jake touched her. "I'm only messing with you, Hails. You're my best friend. Only I can tease you, isn't that right?"

Hailey kicked the ground with a huff and scoffed at his words. "Yeah yeah, whatever. Look, class is about to start soon. Shouldn't we get going?" She glanced over at him, and it was now that Jake moved his arm away from her collarbone.

"You can. I'm heading to the bathroom real quick.." Jake replied to her, his hands fidgeting around in his pockets. It was obvious he was trying to find something that was hidden using only his hands. Hailey looked at him seriously and groaned. Him doing this was all she needed to know about his real intentions about making a trip to the bathroom.

"Are you sure you actually have to go to the bathroom..or is it because you wanna vape in there?" Jake looked up at her from his pockets and fought back an annoyed sigh. Hailey smirked at him, seeing how Jake was visibly trying to act oblivious, but she saw right through him. After all, she knew her best friend like the back of her hand. "Well, Sterling..? Is it..?"

"Awh, Hailey! You're always on my back for everything..!" Jake complained in defeat, which made Hailey laugh. This sentence was basically him admitting guilt to Hailey's assumptions. "You never let me have any fun.."

Hailey placed a strand of her hair behind an ear before replying to him. "You shouldn't even be vaping in the first place, let alone at school. I don't like seeing you vape because it's against the rules, and it is very damaging to your health. The e-cigarette aerosol that people breathe in and exhale from the vaping device can contain harmful substances-"

Jake groaned out loudly and covered his ears in irritation. "Ugh..! Okay okay, Hailey! I get it. You don't have to go all Einstein on me." Hailey heard the boy whine, causing her to roll her eyes yet again. She said nothing in response. Since she wasn't talking, Jake removed his palms from his ears and chuckled. He then took notice of Hailey's glasses that were on the floor still. Jake bent down, picked them up, and placed them back onto Hailey's eyes, making her blush a bit. "Here's your glasses. Why do you even wear them when you can see..?"

"Jake, I keep telling you. They are reading glasses. They are not for full-time use." She answered his question, feeling quite unamused. "You're my best friend. You should know this." Jake decided to brush it off and move on.

"Anyways...what do you think about the prom that is happening next Friday night..? Is my best girl buddy gonna attend it..or stay at home like she usually does reading her books?" Jake mentioned the school's upcoming prom night to Hailey. Hearing that made Hailey's pulse increase as she started to feel a little nervous about how to answer him or go about this.

"O-Oh, yeah! I mean...I was actually thinking about going, I won't lie.." Hailey shyly rubbed her neck, grinning. She hated how much she was blushing right now. It's a good thing Jake always paid no attention to it most of the time.

Jake was surprised to hear Hailey's reply. This was unusual of her. Normally, Hailey would skip these sort of events as she seemed to have no interest in them, and wasn't too fond of being around crowds of people. Instead, she preferred to be by herself in her own quiet space. Hailey was more of an introvert while Jake was an extrovert.

"Wow, really? Damn, princess. That's a first." Jake played with his hoodie strings. "Now the only question is..would you go alone..or with a date..?"

Hailey blushed even more while Jake smugly smiled at her. She thought to herself for about five seconds before she began to speak. "Uhm...well...h-here's the thing...I-"