Chapter-31 {Edited}

Start from the beginning

The opaque silence was disturbed by my loud footsteps. The darkness felt heavy, oppressive, uncertain. I came closer to a cross-junction to spot my mother at one end.

I was momentarily relieved after seeing her.

I called out to my mother hopefully. She saw me and then turned away soon after. I rushed to reach her but something held me back.

I tried to look back but my neck didn't move for the grip on me. I was being forcefully dragged down through my struggles. I couldn't feel the air in my lungs but I somehow pleaded with my mother to rescue me but she didn't do anything except laugh at my misery.

I begged, I cried but she didn't help me until my voice disappeared.

"M-ummy!"

"Sa-v-e M-e!!"

Ruchi woke up with a jerk coming to the realization that her cheeks were dampened with red tears and with a heart that thumped loud against her rib cage along with every single nerve of her brain bursting in excruciating pain

"You're safe, Baby."

"You're safe."

Her own croaky voice of assurances banged against her eardrums while she continued to rub or rather scratch her arms vigorously in hope to find some heat. But after several failed attempts, she laid back down on the bed in an immobile state hoping for the restlessness to pass.

The scary episode in her dream had almost brought back the same girl who was once in a similar situation.

It was a dream, no, a nightmare-one she had not had in the last few months.

Her short breaths came irregularly faster. The chafed fear threatened to squeeze her heart and claw down at the walls of forgetfulness she had built around herself as a futile attempt to try blocking these blurry but pathetic voices from her head.

In order to protect the little girl who was stuck back in her past.

To save the Ruchi who didn't have a mother to turn up to bail her out even in some non-existent nightmare.

To rescue her from these long living years of perturbation and aversion from the maimed version of herself who had inevitably fallen in her steps with no one to pick her up again.

The sleep in her eyes had been dead by now without any material signals of it returning back any time soon.

Her sleep was just like her mother. Once gone, nobody knew if she would ever return.