Chapter 26

We step out of the dressing room and see Decker's friend Phil.

"From all the screams I heard, y'all had a great time," he says, laughing.

"Well, when you have Beth, you can't help yourself because hearing her scream your name is like the sound of music," Decker says.

"Oh my, Decker, cut it out please," I whisper, trying to hide my face.

"Oh honey, I bet. But sadly I'm strictly dickly," Phil says, winking at me. "Beth, you are a beautiful baby girl."

"Thank you, Phil," I say, laughing.

"Okay, well, I'll talk to you later, buddy. People are waiting," Decker says, pulling me along.

We finally reach outside the club, and the music is bumping, and people are still partying hard.

"There's my mom," he says, and I follow, but the first thing I see is Jenni jumping up and down seeking attention.

"Mama, good to see you," he says, giving her a hug, and I just stand behind.

"My baby, it's so good to see you. You were spectacular up there, I must say, not that I'm surprised. The whole crowd went crazy for you," she says, smiling very proudly.

"Thank you, Mama. It's great to see you, but let me introduce you to my girlfriend, Beth. Beth, this is my mom, Lizzie Wolf."

"Hello, Mrs

"Hello, Mrs. Wolf. It's so nice to meet you," I say, and she opens her arms to give me a hug.

"Sorry, I'm a hugger, and please call me Lizzie. You are a beautiful girl, Beth," she smiles.

"Thank you. I appreciate it. You look great tonight," I say

"Decker, I loved your performance

"Decker, I loved your performance. You were a great entertainer," another older woman says.

"Thank you, Kelley. Good to see you," he says to her.

"See, I told you everyone loved you. I would never lie to you. And hi, Beth. Good to see you," Jenni says.

"Jenni, nice to see you too, and I'm not surprised either," I say, smiling.

"So, Mom, what brought you here?" Decker asks.

"Well, I was out with Kelley and Jenni, and I told you I was going to come see you, and they decided to join. But, Beth, I'm so happy to meet you and would love if you join me for dinner this week, along with Decker," she says.

"Oh, of course. I'd love to, Lizzie," I say.

"Mama, Seth will be there too," I say.

"Ah, okay. I'm so glad. I was missing him. Where is he tonight?" she asks.

"He's finishing an event and will be back tomorrow." Decker lets her know

"Oh, okay. Well, I'm a little tired," Lizzie says, giving me a hug. "It was great meeting you, and I can't wait to have you over this week."

"Oh, yes. It was nice meeting you too. I hope you all enjoy your night," I say, waving at Kelley. Jenni tries to hug me, but I make sure to wave before she gets the chance.

"Baby, wait for me in the room. I'm going to walk my mom out to her car safely," he tells me, kissing my lips.

"Of course, no problem. I'll pack up your stuff," I say, making my way back to the dressing room.

As they walk to the car, Lizzie turns to Decker and starts the conversation.

"Son, I have to say, I'm surprised to see you with a girlfriend. I thought I would have had to wait another good 5 years. You loved your bachelor life, which I couldn't stand, and I'm so glad it's over. How long have you two been dating?" she asks, smiling.

Decker chuckles. "We've been together for a few months now, and I'm really happy," he says.

"Yeah, Beth is amazing. She's smart, funny, and beautiful. She accepts what I do for a living and loves being with me and Seth. And she compliments both of us so well. You'll see when we come for dinner. This relationship is different from anything I've experienced, and I'm happy and surprised myself, Mama. I'm committed," Decker says, expressing his feelings about Beth to his mother.

"I'm so happy for you, baby. I can see you are genuinely so happy, but I do wonder, does that mean I'm going to get grandchildren soon? You know I'm not getting any younger," she asks, looking at Decker with a smile. Decker chuckles. "Mama, I'm still young. Kids will maybe come one day but i'm not sure," he says. Lizzie rolls her eyes playfully. "You say that now, but time flies, my dear. Before you know it, you'll be an old man like me," she says, laughing. Decker smiles, shaking his head. "I'm not that young anymore, Mama. But I'm sure kids will come when the time is right," he says. "You know what's funny? I was actually having this same conversation with Seth's mom the other day," Lizzie says, looking at Decker with a knowing smile. Decker looks surprised. "Really? What did she say?" he asks.

"She said she would love for you and Seth to become fathers already instead of just waiting. I mean, seeing both of you with a baby for us to hold would be adorable and so much fun, especially when everyone around our age already has their second grandbaby. But it's your life, so we can keep waiting."

"Well, maybe you will get your wish in a few years, Mama. I don't see myself as a dad just yet," I say.

"So, does that mean you are wrapping it up?" she asks.

"Mama, please, are you seriously asking me this?" I say, embarrassed.

"Well, Decker, I just want to tell you that you were conceived with no protection, and I'm sure the way you make babies is still the same, so I'm just saying," she laughs.

"Mama, I'm aware, don't worry. But we're good, don't worry. Is Dad going to be at this dinner?" I ask.

"Well, he is my husband and your father, so yes, he will be. But he will behave. He won't make it awkward," she says.

"I hope so because I don't want anything to be awkward or for him to bring up things that don't matter," I say.

"You mean like Jenni does? Beth knows of the history," she asks.

"Yes, she does. We talked about it, but it's in the past, and Dad never knows when to not say shit that is out of pocket at times. I know he tries, but still," I say.

"Well, I know Jenni didn't catch it before, but I hope she did now," Mom says.

"There was never going to be a 'me and Jenni', Mom. So if she didn't catch it, then she is delusional," I say.

"Okay, well, I'm happy for you and proud of you, and I will make sure your father behaves. I love you, baby. Just remember to always be honest and true to yourself," she says.

"I will, Mama. Thanks for being there for me," I say, kissing her cheek.

"Of course, anytime. And don't forget to call me soon, okay?" Lizzie says, getting into the car.

"I won't, Mama. Drive safe," I say.