I find myself staring at the pool, the gorgeous, deep blue colour emitting into the black sky surrounding us. The pool stirs with the gentle stream of the jets, soothing laps of water sounding so peaceful and tranquil against the chaos of the city around and below us. I smile, but then I panic.

    "Wait." I turn to Grayson as I curl my arms around my now cold body. "So we shouldn't be here right? How did you even get that access card? Shit Grayson this isn't good! We have to leave! What if we get caught?"

Grayson is still smiling, I mean, of course he is. Throwing off his t-shirt, he strides confidently to the edge of the pool in only his boxers. "Cmon darlin'. You only live once right?" He looks to me and winks. "Not everyday you come to New York and get to swim in a rooftop pool huh?"

I can feel my body going all sorts of crazy. Rule breaking has never been my thing and the anticipation of being caught only causes my nerve to crash harder. But, being here with Grayson in a city I could only have previously dreamt of visiting, makes me want to take a chance on the wild side.

I go to talk, but Grayson scoops me up in his arms and runs to the pool, jumping in at the same time only our laughter echoes in the air around us.

The warm water swallows us, silence filling my ears as we plunge under in each other's arms, my eyes closed as I really comprehend what I'm doing right now.

Eventually we resurface, and I let out a gasp at the same time Grayson's laughter roars into my ears. I feel all kinds of rebellious, and being in the pool with just my underwear on sparks something frantic inside of me.

I wipe my eyes with my hands and focus on Grayson, his dark, fierce brown eyes boring into mine as his hands find the lower of my back and he pulls me into his firm body. He looks deep in thought now; terrified of what's going through his mind that he's clearly debating whether to share or not.

     "What's up?" I ask tenderly, the soothing motion of the disturbed water lapping around our bodies. I pull myself closer to Grayson, using the pad of my thumb to capture water droplets from his lips.

     "It's just..." Grayson begins, his eyes searching the sky above, "I don't want things to change, you know? When we're back in London?"

I nod, because I know exactly what he means. Being in New York may be blurring the lines between fantasy and reality but all I know is that I don't want things to change either. As much as I've felt safe here; guarded from the poison of Grayson's life because we're across the seas from it all, I'm determined to not let it come between us one goddamn more time. Besides, Grayson said he'd left it all, and maybe it's time we both grow up.

     "Promise me Mia," Grayson continues, his thumb caressing my cheek. "Promise me we can try one last time. All I know is you and all I love is you, and I can't stand to envisage a future with you not in it."

I can't quite work out if the droplets of water gliding down my face are the water from the pool or tears, but either way I'm beyond reason when I crash my lips to Grayson's, his tongue intruding inside of my mouth as my hands grip into his hair.

     "I love you too Grayson," I say just as I find a break in our kiss. "You're everything I need."

I catch Grayson smile, but his lips are quick to find my neck, sucking and biting like he's reclaiming a lost prized possession. Every inch of my wet skin shivers under his touch and I close my eyes as the warmth of the pool collides with the cold of the night, steam infiltrating my senses.

    "You're perfect," Grayson whispers against my ear, my legs wrapping around his waist as his fingers slip under the straps of my bra, pulling them away from my shoulders as he reaches for the clasp. "You've no idea how fucking much I've missed everything about you."

My heart burns with adoration. I push myself closer against Grayson's form torso and taste his lips with everything I have. Once my bra is tossed to the side, Grayson slips my knickers off, letting them float away against the current of the water, then yanks his boxers off. He pulls me even closer, and I feel him against me. Panting, I slide my tongue into the parting of Grayson's lips and secure myself against him. Then he slides into me.

He works himself against me in deadly, slow and torturous movements. My insides shake with an intense pleasure I haven't felt in so long. Despite the water, my skin burns with every slight touch of Grayson's, leaving painful yet exhilarating shivers in their wake.

     "Promise me we'll never forget this night," Grayson pants, his trembling lips grazing mine. "Or this trip. Or any of it."

I nod, which is as just about as much as I can manage when Grayson is already sending me into an oblivion of ecstasy. "I promise Grayson," I whisper, my fingers curling harder around his neck, redness swelling where my grip pressures. "How could I ever forget this? Or forget you?"

We climax together, nothing but the thumping of our hearts sounding in the space around us. For a brief moment, Grayson and I are the only people to exist in this huge city, and I rest my head against Grayson's chest as I allow myself to feel that and so much more.

Slowly, Grayson lifts his fingers under my chin and tilts my head upwards, bowing his head so that his lips delicately massage mine. "My beautiful girl." He plants kisses down my neck and across my collar bone. "I think it's about time we got outta here, eh?"

I look around suddenly, brought back to my senses remembering that we shouldn't have been here in the first place. Nodding, I grab my underwear and hop out of the pool, making a bee line to where I dropped the duvet. Once I swing it around me, I can't help but laugh as Grayson strides coolly over to the door.

     "Sex in a rooftop pool in New York City? Check." Grayson winks as he slides the card through the reader, holding the door open as I timidly pad inside, swatting Grayson on the pectoral for being so egotistical about it all.

     "Shut up!" I laugh. "Where did you get that card anyway?"

     "Nobody mans reception at night."

My eyes turn to saucers. "Grayson! Seriously?"

Grayson curls his arm around me, forcing me to an abrupt halt as we make it out of the lift and back to the apartment door. "Shh darlin. Go wait in bed, I'll be back soon." With that he winks and turns to head back to reception, and for just a minute I stand and can't help but smile like a dumb lovestruck little girl, revelling in just a solid moment of actually feeling whole.