Chapter 34

Sage

I spent my final days at Hillcrest in solitude, only leaving my room for therapy, med times, and occasionally to eat. My appetite has all but disappeared whenever Holden or the ick twins are in the dining hall, so I've been living off of protein bars and shakes. The weight I've put on before I was discharged from the hospital has all but gone, but as I look around my room, now fully packed up, I could care less.

"That's everything?" Mom asks, lugging my small travel bag over her shoulder. I plaster my most pageant like smile and nod, "That's everything. I'm so ready to get out of here."

Dressed in black leggings, an oversized T-shirt and my UGGs, I said my goodbyes stopping at Lo's office on the way towards the exit. She smiles from behind her desk before rising and crossing the room. "If you need anything at all, you call me or the facility hotline. I'll be seeing you next week." Tears prick my eyes because she really did help me out of the darkness I'd fallen into. Too bad I'd been pushed right back into that darkness and it's swallowing me whole.

"Enjoy your holidays, Lo, and thank you for getting me through everything." I whisper and despite the coldness in my soul, I hug her, syphoning her warmth for my own. I had to stop and turn in my key card at the front desk and the chill in the air isn't from the doorway. My head turns slightly to see two sets of green eyes, watching like predators stalking a prey they're sure they'll catch. Sucking in a calming breath, I straighten my back, accepted the lovely giftbag of snacks, an aromatherapy candle and brochures with useful resources should I need them.

"Rosalie made gingerbread cookies and those snowballs you loved when you were younger!" Mom exclaimed as we slid into the town car. It was a perfect snowy day in Tacoma and Vanessa told me it had been snowing in Penhaven throughout the week so I'm actually excited about that. "I could use a few cookies and a glass of almond milk." I sighed blissfully, already feeling ten times lighter as we drove away from Hillcrest.

The ride was actually pretty good, my parents were getting along and have already made a whole list of activities to do. I already missed decorating the tree and house, the only time my mother likes to be hands on with decor, and the annual Christmas party, not that I'd want to spend the evening watching my parents network with their business friends and clients. "By the way, we wanted to make a stop so you could get your Christmas gift, sweetie," Dad said with a glance over at my mother. I raised my brows in curiosity. My parents haven't spent this amount of time together in years unless...

"Please tell me there isn't a news crew awaiting the return of your comatose daughter?" I accused with furrowed brows and arms crossed over my chest. The claws of betrayal and sadness I thought I'd left behind at Hillcrest covered me as yet again I'm reminded that the only one in my life I can trust is myself. My mom frowns at me her gray-blue eyes tearful and she curls her hand around mine, giving it a squeeze. "I'm so sorry you have such distrust in our intentions as your parents, but we promise you the only people who know you're coming home today is your brother and Kaden. We didn't even tell your grandparents." Dad laughs at that and I find my eyes widened as we stop at the Chanel store.

"Why... why are we here? It's closed," I whined. I loved a good shopping day and what girl doesn't love Chanel? Dad grins and it actually makes him ten years younger than his forty-six years. Then he shocks both of us with a wink! "It's Christmas and while you may be an adult, you're still my little girl and you've been through so much this year." His smile is expectant and a cloud of darkness covers me at the reminder of the last few months of my life. How can I be happy when I'm reminded over and over that I'm fundamentally broken inside?

"Let's not overwhelm her on her first day back home, Kings," Mom chimes in and I'm grateful for the momentary distraction from the pit of despair settling into my heart. As always, I plaster a smile I didn't feel on my face and squeeze both of their hands. I mean they were trying, so why can't I? Why can't I just be the perfect daughter for a few hours and then in the solace of my room will I allow myself to drown.