Chapter 12

Sage

I've had the same dream for weeks now, or at least it feels like a dream. It's hard to tell here. Waking up in my perfect paradise, away from the hardships of the life I've left behind. I'm here, where I can be free. I can be me again.

The warm breeze from the ocean blows into my bedroom through the French doors leading out to the beach. It's a perfect day to just sit by the water and take a breath. Away from the insistent chatter I've heard repeatedly, voices all blending into white noise, but every once in a while there's a voice I recognize distinctly. He shows up whenever I'm with him and my heart and brain are at war.

Grabbing my robe and tying it around me, I walk out onto the beach. My eyes latch on to the only other person on this paradise of my own making. His muscles on display in the sun, it's unfair someone should look that beautiful. It's been years since we've spoken, even after his betrayal left me a broken version of myself at such a young age, but one day he appeared in this world of mine and I can't seem to let him go.

He doesn't turn to face me as I approach him, the waves reaching my ankles as I stand beside him. "We meet again, princess." Anthony mumurs, his face just the way I remember it all those years ago. "Time, it seems, is never on our side."

"I don't want to leave, Ant. It hurts so much I can't take it." I turned to face him, his hazel eyes filled with sadness as his hand cups my face and I lean into his warmth. "Princess, you weren't meant to be here. Not yet, anyway."

That chatter in my head returns and I frown at Anthony. "He's calling you, Princess. He's been here all along, waiting for you."

Who is he? I close my eyes at the touch of something in my hand, firm but familiar. "I'm scared. You don't know the things I've done to forget you." Tears fall down my cheeks and he brushes them away with his thumb. "I know more than you think, princess. I know that you're scared, but forgiveness is a part of healing. You just have to want it and move forward."

A featherlight sensation moved from my right wrist to my elbow and I looked down at my arm and my skin prickled in goosebumps. I wasn't even being touched, but the wind picked up on the beach and the air smelled of pumpkins and something familiar.

"I know you're in there Firefly. Please come back to us. To me." Firefly? There's only one person in the whole world who'd ever call me that.

"Kade?" My hand twitched again as if seeking his touch. "I don't understand. He hates me. I've hurt him so much when I chose you over him." My gaze shifts to Anthony, his brows raised, "did you really choose me, princess? I believe your unresolved anger toward your mother motivated everything. We were fun, but in reality, you were never in love with me."

I frowned and put my fingers on my chin. Maybe he's right. Did I actually love Anthony or was I motivated by vengeance? My mother loved me, I'm sure, but she never understood just how much she ruined me. "It doesn't matter, Ant. I'm staying here." I crossed my arms over my chest and watched the waves crash the beach. Anthony frowns, his brows furrowed as he clasped my hand. "Come have lunch with me. I'm in the mood for Italian, aren't you?"

"Ant, were on a tropical paradise and you want Italian?" I sighed as he pulled me back into our bungalow.

"Fight firefly."

I stopped short, the bungalow filled with the scent of Italian food and pumpkins. Turning to look around the bungalow, there were photos on the walls that weren't there previously.

"What the.." something flutters in my chest at the photos of me and Kyle and Kaden growing up. A chuckle escapes me as I remember all the times my brother got annoyed with me insisting on playing with them, but in truth I just wanted to feel normal, not like the princess trapped in her castle my parents made me be.

"Believe it or not, princess, you're not the only one who's in pain. He needs you. They both do." Anthony murmurs, his arms sliding around my waist from behind me. I lean into him, seeking that comfort as I'd done so many times before. I know what I have to do, I just don't know if I'm strong enough to face all of my demons.

"I'll never let anyone hurt you again, Firefly. I failed to protect you so many times and I'll be damned if I let someone else take you from me."

"Kade.." my heart squeezes with his declaration and my hands clench at my sides as I turn to Anthony. "I'm sorry we never got our chance, but thank you for showing me the way."

He brushes my tears away, a sad smile tugging at his lips before he places a tender, bittersweet kiss on my lips. I want to cling to him, to beg him to let me stay. For those few seconds our lips say all the goodbyes I couldn't say, I memorized every part of him I could before he eventually pulls away.

"Promise me you'll fight to live, Sage. Don't give up when it gets hard. That's the path to healing." His eyes narrow on my face, waiting on my compliance as always and I nod, reaching up to kiss him one last time, "No matter what happened in the past I love you, Anthony."

My breath hitches as the room begins to fill with fireflies. "I'm coming home." I whisper while walking to the front door. I glance back at Anthony and he nods, giving me the courage to walk through that door and back to my life.

I just hope I haven't completely fucked up.