Chapter 19

Kaden

Normally, I'd be all about game night with the boys. The spread of food Rosie laid out and the abundance of alcohol made for a perfect night with my friends. The problem was from the moment Kyle left to visit Sage, I'd been on edge. I knew he wanted to talk to his sister, to rebuild their shattered relationship and I'd never come in between that. It's also part of the reason I'd never told Kyle any of the feelings I'd had for his sister back then... or the ones creeping back into my heart now.

"If the Chargers pull a win, I'll let you drive my car for a week." Tanner chuckles before tossing back his fourth beer. I snapped my attention to him and raised my brow in challenge. "Are you forgetting you bet on Dallas to beat Philly and you lost miserably. I have yet to collect, my friend." My grin is downright evil. He throws a jalapeno popper at me and flips me off.

"It's not like the Vikings can't afford a loss, but shit I'd take the sweet McLaren for a ride." Mikey chimes in from the other side of my couch. Tanner, little gambler that he was, actually might have a chance as the QB threw an interception.

"Tman, tell us, how many teams do you have bets on?" I ask as I reach up to grab a burger. His gray eyes flicker with amusement and he rolled his eyes. "Let's just say I'm a man that always wins, no matter what side of the coin I'm on." Despite how cavalier his tone is, something dark flashes in his eyes and I wonder just how deep in the rabbit hole my friend is.

After two double header games, the alarm alerts is to entry in the side door moments before Lola's flushed face appears in the living room. "You guys are gonna eat Rosie out of house and home." She stops behind me and I tilt my head up on the back of the couch and those plump rosie lips find mine. A soft groan escapes my lips when her cool fingers trace the slight gruff only chin. "Miss me, baby?" I tease against her lips.

"Well it's been a crazy few days, but I guess I miss this sexy as fuck face." She giggles and climbs over the couch beside me. Mikey smirks and winks at Lola. "Do I get a Spiderman kiss too, doll? Tanner won't make things official."

Tanner throws a pillow at Mikey's head and the asshole doesn't even bother to dodge it. "See what I mean? He's so abusive." Tanner rolls his eyes at his antics. "Please, you're only upset because I won't let you suck my dick, Mikey. No shame in being needy." We burst into laughter as the alarm alerts us to entry through the garage door moments before Kyle's head appears in the family room doorway. "How's Sage doing?" Mikey asks as he leans over to grab his beer.

"She's good, I think." He sighs as he sits in a armchair. "Other than being bummed about missing Thanksgiving, I'd say she's ready to get clean and stay clean." His gaze connects with mine and I nod before standing. "Looks like I'm on Sage duty." I glance down at Lola and a pang of guilt tugs at me. Since Sage woke up, Lola's been a bit of an afterthought.

"You wanna come with? I'm sure Sage could use some girl time since she's been surrounded by dudes for the last few days." Her green eyes look unsure and I hold my hand out, waiting. A small smile pulls at her lips and she puts her hand in mine.

"Tell Sage we said hi!" Tanner yells as we headed to the garage. Normally, I'd be happy to drive the BMW, but opted for my jeep. "Are you okay?" I glanced at Lola as I pulled out of the driveway. She wraps her arms around herself, even though I'm sure her coat plus the heat of the jeep are keeping her warm enough, "Uh yeah... I just don't want to intrude, you know." She bites her lip, a tell of how nervous she is. I reach over and lace our fingers together and give her hand a squeeze.

"Babe, relax. Sage is not a scary as everyone thinks. She's ... complicated and she's been through some difficult times." Lola hums and rests her head on the headrest. "I got the feeling that she's rather lonely."