Chapter 32 - Memories

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Flashback

My eyes opened at I found myself lying on a cold, hard surface. My head was really hurting, and I couldn't realty get up.

"Easy there, little one," a soft voice said.

I turned to see a woman with kind eyes and a warm smile. She was dressed in a nurse's uniform.

"Where am I?" I managed to ask, my voice barely a whisper.

"You're in the hospital, sweetheart," she replied gently.

"Hospital?" I asked her and she nodded.

"You were in a car accident. You're lucky to be alive," she explained.

"Oh."

"Do you remember anything?"

I furrowed my brows, struggling to recall. "No, it's all fuzzy. Where's my mama?"

The nurse's eyes softened, and she patted my hand. "It's okay, dear. We'll figure things out. Someone is coming to see you."

Just then, the door opened, and a familiar face appeared. "Oh, thank God you're okay." The person rushed in and enveloped me in a warm hug. I looked up, still dazed

I looked up at the person hugging me, confused. "Who are you?"

He pulled back slightly, "I'm Jake, your brother. I got a call saying you were in an accident, and I rushed here as fast as I could."

"Brother?" I echoed, still trying to process the information. 

"Well, your stepbrother, technically, but you're like an actual sister to me," he explained, a small smile on his face. 

I blinked, "Do you...remember anything?" he asked gently.

"No....no uh, I don't," I said that and I could've sworn I saw a smile on his face. But I probably imagined it.

"Well," Jake sighed, "the doctors say you might not get back your memories anytime soon. But don't worry, Lilith, I'm here for you."

"Did I have any friends or anything?" I asked him.

"No, not really, we kind of just shifted here," He said, with a small smile on his face.

"Okay," I whispered.

***

"Jakeeee, can we go somewhere?" I asked, bouncing.

"No, shut up," he replied, sounding mean.

I couldn't understand.
Why doesn't he like me anymore?
He was nice to me in the hospital.

I pouted, feeling a bit hurt by his response. "Why are you being mean to me?" I asked, my lower lip trembling.

He sighed, looking irritated. "Get out."

I blinked, surprised, "What? Why?"

"Just get out," he repeated, frustration evident in his voice.

Confused and a little scared, I slowly got out of the car, watching as he drove away without another word. Alone on the sidewalk, I wondered what had happened to the relationship I thought we had.

Maybe it'll get better.

It never did.

***

"Here, One day, I'll get you real one."
"I'm Nico."
"I got this for you."

"I'll be your friend."

I gasped, waking up.

-------------------------------------------------------------

*Sips coffee in the corner*

🖤💋