Chapter 22 - Dad

I stood in front of my mother, uncertainty lingering in the air

I stood in front of my mother, uncertainty lingering in the air. "Do I have a twin?"

She stared for a moment, "Nico, I—" Before she could finish, I felt a surge of frustration and confusion, and I couldn't hold back the anger in me.

"Is there a twin?" I demanded, my voice strained, and without waiting for a response. When she didn't say anything,  I slammed my fist on the table, cutting her off. "Yes or no?" I growled, my patience wearing thin.

She looked like she was about to cry, and that just pissed me off more. Before things got even more heated, my dad stepped in, "Enough, Nico. She's your mother."

But I needed answers. "Mom, do I have a twin?" I asked, my voice a bit calmer but still demanding.

She took a shaky breath, tears in her eyes. "Yes, you do. But he died."

"And....You never told me? You never thought it'd be important for me to know that I have a twin brother? A FUCKING TWIN, for God's sake," My voice exploded with frustration.

She hesitated, a tear escaping down her cheek. "Nico, you used to have nightmares when you were a kid. We thought that... if we didn't bring it up, if we shielded you from the pain, you'd have a chance at a normal life."

I scoffed, bitterness lacing my words. "Well, that plan sure worked out, didn't it? He's out to kill me, so there goes your protection."

She looked devastated, "Nico, we never thought he would be alive. I saw him die in front of me. We thought we were doing what was best for you."

I shook my head, frustration boiling over. "Best for me? Keeping me in the dark about a twin brother? Now he's out there, and I'm the target. How's that for best?"

"I have to go," I muttered, the need for space overpowering everything in that cramped room.

"Nico, wait!" My mom's voice followed me, but I kept on walking. I needed air, needed to make sense of the bombshell they just dropped.

"Give him some time," my dad said to her, his words hanging in the air. 

So, I walked, letting the chaos in my head match the chaos in my heart.

I needed her

***

I found myself in front of Lilith's door, and without much thought, I gave it a gentle push. The room was like a refuge, a place where I could escape the madness for a moment.

I leaned against the door frame, catching Lilith in the middle of whatever she was doing. "Hey," I said, a small smile forming. "You up for grabbing some dinner?"

"Right now? I'm not even dressed," she replied.

You look beautiful," I shot back.

"I'm wearing a sweatshirt with food stains and sweatpants." Lilith deadpanned.