𝐇𝐁𝐏 𝟏𝟖

Harry and Emily wracked their brains over the next week for ideas on how they could persuade Slughorn to hand over the true memory, but nothing in the nature of a brain wave occurred and they were reduced to doing what they did increasingly these days when at a loss: poring over Harry's Potions book, hoping that the Prince would have scribbled something useful in a margin, as he had done so many times before.

"You won't find anything in there," said Hermione firmly, late on Sunday evening.

"Don't start, Hermione," said Harry. "If it hadn't been for the Prince, Ron wouldn't be sitting here now."

"He would if you'd just listened to Snape in our first year," said Hermione dismissively.

Emily snorted when she saw Harry roll her eyes at Hermione. But, the smirk that had crossed her lips left almost immediately when she saw Harry find a spell in the book and mark it by folding a corner of the page over.

They were sitting beside the fire in the common room; the only other people awake were fellow sixth years. There had been a certain amount of excitement earlier when they had come back from dinner to find a new sign on the notice board that announced the date for their Apparition Test.

Those who would be seventeen on or before the first test date, the twenty-first of April, had the option of signing up for additional practice sessions, which would take place (heavily supervised) in Hogsmeade.

Ron had panicked on reading this notice; he had still not managed to Apparate and feared he would not be ready for the test.

Hermione, who had now achieved Apparition twice, was a little more confident.

Emily, who had achieved apparition almost four times, was still panicking, she had always had this habit since her first year.

But Harry, who would not be seventeen for another four months, could not take the test whether ready or not.

"At least you can Apparate, though!" said Emily tensely. "You'll have no trouble come July!"

"I've only done it once," Harry reminded her; he had finally managed to disappear and rematerialize inside his hoop during their previous lesson.

Having wasted a lot of time worrying aloud about Apparition, Ron was now struggling to finish a viciously difficult essay for Snape that Emily, Harry and Hermione had already completed.

Emily fully expected Harry to receive low marks on his, because he had disagreed with Snape on the best way to tackle dementors, but Emily could tell he did not care: Slughorn's memory was the most important thing to him now.

"I'm telling you, the stupid Prince isn't going to be able to help you with this, Harry!" said Hermione, more loudly. "There's only
one way to force someone to do what you want, and that's the Imperius Curse, which is illegal —"

"Yeah, I know that, thanks," said Harry, not looking up from the book. "That's why I'm looking for something different. Dumbledore says Veritaserum won't do it, but there might be something else, a potion or a spell. . . ."

"You're going about it the wrong way," said Hermione. "Only you can get the memory, Dumbledore says. That must mean you can persuade Slughorn where other people can't. It's not a question of slipping him a potion, anyone could do that —"

"How d'you spell 'belligerent'?" said Ron, shaking his quill very hard while staring at his parchment. "It can't be B — U — M —"

"No, it isn't," said Emily, pulling Ron's essay toward her. "And 'augury' doesn't begin O — R — G either. What kind of quill are you using?"