𝐏𝐎𝐀 𝟗

Harry knew that Hermione had meant well, but that didn't stop him from being angry with her.

He and Emily had been the owner of the best brooms in the world for a few short hours, and now, because of her interference, they didn't know whether they would ever see it again.

He was positive that there was nothing wrong with the Firebolts now, but what sort of state would they be in once they had been subjected to all sorts of anti-jinx tests?

Ron was furious with Hermione too. As far as he was concerned, the stripping-down of a brandnew Firebolt was nothing less than criminal damage.

Emily wasn't furious with her, which Harry and Ron had expected, but she did let Hermione know that she was upset with her every so often.

Hermione, who remained convinced that she had acted for the best, started avoiding the common room.

Harry and Ron supposed she had taken refuge in the library and didn't try to persuade her to come back.  Emily was also hardly ever in the common room, and the boys expected she was probably with Hermione.

All in all, they were glad when the rest of the school returned shortly after New Year, and Gryffindor Tower became crowded and noisy again.

Wood sought Harry out on the night before term started.

"Had a good Christmas?" he said, and then, without waiting for an answer, he sat down, lowered his voice, and said, "I've been, doing some thinking over Christmas, Harry. After last match, you know. If the Dementors come to the next one... I mean... we can't afford you to-well-"

Wood broke off, looking awkward.

"I'm working on it," said Harry quickly. "Professor Lupin said he'd train me to ward off the Dementors. We should be starting this week. He said he'd have time after Christmas."

"Ah," said Wood, his expression clearing. "Well, in that case-I really didn't want to lose you as Seeker, Harry. And have you ordered a new broom yet?"

"No," said Harry.

"What! You'd better get a move on, you know-you can't ride that Shooting Star against Ravenclaw!"

"He and Emily got a Firebolt for Christmas," said Ron.

"A Firebolt? No! Seriously? Areal Firebolt?"

"Don't get excited, Oliver," said Harry gloomily. "Neither of us have got them anymore. They were confiscated." And he explained all about how the Firebolt was now being checked for jinxes.

"Jinxed? How could it be jinxed?"

"Sirius and Eric Black," Harry said wearily. "Theyre supposed to be after me. So McGonagall reckons they might have sent it. Also thinks they sent it to Emily."

Waving aside the information that famous murderers were after his Seeker, Wood said, "But they couldn't have bought a Firebolt! They're on the run! The whole country's on the lookout for them! How could they just walk into Quality Quidditch Supplies and buy two broomsticks?"

"I know," said Harry, "but McGonagall still wants to strip them down."

Wood went pale.