𝐇𝐁𝐏 𝟒

Harry spent a lot of the last week of the holidays pondering the meaning of Malfoy's behaviour in Knock- turn Alley.

What disturbed him most was the satisfied look on Malfoy's face as he had left the shop. Nothing that made Malfoy look that happy could be good news.

To his slight annoyance, however, neither Ron nor Hermione seemed quite as curious about Malfoy's activities as he was; or at least, they seemed to get bored of discussing it after a few days.

Emily said nothing, she would sit and listen to Harry but shortly after she would go into one of her trances, her brothers having to come and sit with her.

"Yes, I've already agreed it was fishy, Harry," said Hermione a little impatiently. She was sitting on the windowsill in Fred and George's room with her feet up on one of the cardboard boxes and had only grudgingly looked up from her new copy of Advanced Rune Translation. "But haven't we agreed there could be a lot of explanations?"

"Maybe he's broken his Hand of Glory," said Ron vaguely, as he attempted to straighten his broom- stick's bent tail twigs. "Remember that shrivelled-up arm Malfoy had?"

"But what about when he said 'Don't forget to keep that one safe'?" asked Harry for the umpteenth time. "That sounded to me like Borgin's got another one of the broken objects, and Malfoy wants both."

"You really think so?" said Emily, sat down on the floor with her legs crossed.

"Yeah, I do," said Harry. When no one said anything, he said, "Malfoy's father's in Azkaban. Don't you think Malfoy'd like revenge?"

Emily looked up, blinking.

"Malfoy, revenge? What can he do about it?"

"That's my point, I don't know!" said Harry, frustrated. "But he's up to something and I think we should take it seriously. His father's a Death Eater and-"

Harry broke off, his eyes fixed on the window behind Hermione, his mouth open. A startling thought had just occurred to him.

"Harry?" said Hermione in an anxious voice.
"What's wrong?"

"Your scar's not hurting again, is it?" asked Emily nervously.

"He's a Death Eater," said Harry slowly. "He's replaced his father as a Death Eater!"

There was a silence, then Ron erupted in laughter.

"Malfoy? He's sixteen, Harry! You think You-Know-Who would let Malfoy join?"

"It seems very unlikely, Harry," said Hermione, in a repressive sort of voice. "What makes you think-?"

"In Madam Malkin's. She didn't touch him, but he yelled and jerked his arm away from her when she went to roll up his sleeve. It was his left arm. He's been branded with the Dark Mark."

Ron and Hermione looked at each other and then down at Emily, she was staring down at the floor with her mouth parted in shock.

"Well ..." said Ron, sounding thoroughly unconvinced.

"I think he just wanted to get out of there, Harry," said Hermione.

"He showed Borgin something we couldn't see," Harry pressed on stubbornly. "Something that seriously scared Borgin. It was the Mark, I know it – he was showing Borgin who he was dealing with, you saw how seriously Borgin took him!"

"I don't know Harry. . ."

"Yeah, I still don't reckon You-Know-Who would let Malfoy join ..."

Not wanting to hear anymore devastating news about her family falling apart, Emily jumped up and  left the room.

On the landing she bumped into Ginny, who was returning to her room carrying a pile of freshly laundered clothes.