𝐆𝐎𝐅 𝟏𝟒

Emily sat there, aware that every head in the Great Hall had turned to look at her and Harry.

She was stunned. She felt numb. She was surely dreaming. She had not heard correctly.

There was no applause. A buzzing, as though of angry bees, was starting to fill the Hall; some students were standing up to get a better look at Harry and Emily as they sat, frozen, in there seats.

Up at the top table, Professor McGonagall had got to her feet and swept past Ludo Bagman and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Professor Dumbledore, who bent his ear toward her, frowning slightly.

Emily turned to Ethan; beyond them, she saw the long Gryffindor table all watching her, openmouthed.

"I didn't put my name in," Emily said blankly. "You know I didn't."

He stared just as blankly back.

At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

"Harry Potter! Emily Black!" he called again. "Harry! Emily!Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," Hermione whispered, giving Harry and Emily a slight push.

Emily got to her feet, trod on the hem of her robes, and stumbled slightly.

She and Harry set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. It felt like an immensely long walk; the top table didn't seem to be getting any nearer at all, and she could feel hundreds and hundreds of eyes upon them, as though each were a searchlight.

The buzzing grew louder and louder.

After what seemed like an hour, they were right in front of Dumbledore, feeling the stares of all the teachers upon them.

"Well . . . through the door," said Dumbledore. He wasn't smiling.

Harry looked over at Emily, sighed and took her hand and they moved off along the teachers' table. Hagrid was seated right at the end. He did not wink at Harry and Emily, or wave, or give any of his usual signs of greeting. He looked completely astonished and stared at Harry and Emily as they passed like everyone else.

Harry and Emily went through the door out of the Great Hall and found themselves in a smaller room, lined with paintings of witches and wizards.

A handsome fire was roaring in the fireplace opposite them.

The faces in the portraits turned to look at them as they entered. They saw a wizened witch flit out of the frame of her picture and into the one next to it, which contained a wizard with a walrus moustache.

The wizened witch started whispering in his ear.

Viktor Krum, Cedric Diggory, and Fleur Delacour were grouped around the fire.

They looked strangely impressive, silhouetted against the flames. Krum, hunched-up and brooding, was leaning
against the mantelpiece, slightly apart from the other two.

Cedric was standing with his hands behind his back, staring into the fire.

Fleur Delacour looked around when Harry and Emily's walked in and threw back her sheet of long, silvery hair.

"What is it?" she said. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall?"

She thought they had come to deliver a message. Emily didn't know how to explain what had just happened. She and Harry just stood there, looking at the three champions. It struck them how very tall all of them were.

There was a sound of scurrying feet behind them, and Ludo Bagman entered the room. He took Harry by the arm and led him forward.

"Extraordinary!" he muttered, squeezing Harry's arm. "Absolutely extraordinary! Gentlemen . . . lady," he added, approaching the fireside and addressing the other three. "May I introduce, incredible though it may seem, the fourth Triwizard champion?"