𝐎𝐎𝐓𝐏 𝟖

Harry had a troubled night's sleep. His parents wove in and out of his dreams, never speaking; Mrs. Weasley sobbed over Kreacher's dead body watched by Ron and Hermione, who were wearing crowns, and yet again Harry found himself walking down a corridor ending in a locked door. He awoke abruptly with his scar prickling to find Ron already dressed and talking to him. Emily wasn't beside him anymore.

". . . better hurry up, Mum's going ballistic, she says we're going to miss the train. . . ."

"Where's Emily?" Harry shot up and out of bed "Chill, Sirius and Eric said there training her powers one last time, she's in that little grass patch in the back of the house." Ron shook his head towards the door. Harry let out a loud sigh of relief.

There was a lot of commotion in the house. From what he heard as he dressed at top speed, Harry gathered that Fred and George had bewitched their trunks to fly downstairs to save the bother of carrying them, with the result that they had hurtled straight into Ginny and knocked her down two flights of stairs into the hall; Mrs. Black and Mrs. Weasley were both screaming at the top of their voices.

"COULD HAVE DONE HER A SERIOUS INJURY, YOU IDIOTS"
"FILTHY HALF-BREEDS, BESMIRCHING THE HOUSE OF MY FATHERS"

Hermione came hurrying into the room looking flustered just as Harry was putting on his trainers; Hedwig was swaying on her shoulder, and she was carrying a squirming Crookshanks in her arms.

"Mum and Dad just sent Hedwig back" the owl fluttered obligingly over and perched on top of her cage "are you ready yet?"

"Nearly, Ginny all right?" Harry asked, shoving on his glasses.

"Mrs. Weasley's patched her up," said Hermione. "But now Mad- Eye's complaining that we can't leave unless Sturgis Podmore's here, otherwise the guard will be one short."

"Guard?" said Harry. "We have to go to King's Cross with a guard?"

"You have to go to King's Cross with a guard," Hermione corrected him.
"Why?" said Harry irritably. "I thought Voldemort was supposed to be lying low, or are you telling me he's going to jump out from behind a dustbin to try and do me in?"

"I don't know, it's just what Mad-Eye says," said Hermione distractedly, looking at her watch. "But if we don't leave soon we're definitely going to miss the train. . . ."

"WILL YOU LOT GET DOWN HERE NOW, PLEASE!"Mrs. Weasley bellowed and Hermione jumped as though scalded and hurried out of the room. Harry seized Hedwig, stuffed her unceremoniously into her cage, and set off downstairs after Hermione, dragging his trunk.

Mrs. Black's portrait was howling with rage but nobody was bothering to close the curtains over her; all the noise in the hall was bound to rouse her again anyway.

"Harry, you're to come with me and Tonks, Emily is also coming with us,"shouted Mrs. Weasley over the repeated screeches of "MUDBLOODS! SCUM! CREATURES OF DIRT !" "Leave your trunk and your owl, Alastor's going to deal with the luggage. . . . Oh, for heaven's sake, Sirius and Eric, Dumbledore said no!"
Two bearlike black dogs had appeared at Harry's side as Harry clambered over the various trunks cluttering the hall to get to Mrs. Weasley.

"Oh honestly . . ." said Mrs. Weasley despairingly, "well, on your own heads be it! And if Remus sees he'll kill you both!"

They all turned around to see Emily throw a glass at Mrs Blacks portrait, causing the lady in the picture to jump and look surprised at her granddaughter.

Sirius barked loudly but Emily just smiled sarcastically at them both before placing her trunk next to Harry's "I told you, I am not in the mood. My head is throbbing!"