44. Chapter (Heavy Revelations)

Start from the beginning

"I know not of this man's identity," Corinne replied, her voice trembling as she spoke.

"You lie! You yourself informed me of a spectre haunting my late father's cottage. And lo and behold, there it was, made of flesh and bone," he retorted indignantly, beckoning toward the severed head.

"It was a mere rumour circulating among the villagers, Travis, nothing more," she responded softly, her gaze faltering briefly.

It only served to raise his indignation further. "And how did you come upon these rumours, lady, when you scarcely converse with our own servants?!," he roared.

"I engage with society more, I have renounced spirits, as you recall. Furthermore, why would I desire your demise now, when I could have accomplished it at any previous moment?" Corinne said tearfully this time.

But her tears held no weight with Travis, not anymore. He threatened her with his long finger in her countenance menacingly. "I know not how or by what means, but I shall uncover the truth, mother. And when I do, I shall have you imprisoned, and the ensuing scandal shall be of no concern to me."

He summoned the butler, and when no one appeared after a moment, he called again. Finally, the butler emerged, and Travis was taken aback by his appearance.

"And who is this, damn it?!" he exclaimed in surprise.

"Our new butler, Lafferty. The previous one departed some two months ago," Corinne explained hastily in a trembling voice.

At that moment, Travis realised that he indeed had received no tidings of her activities for a considerable period. His mother had ample time to plan everything meticulously, save for miscalculating that fortune might favour him at least once in his lifetime.

He fixed his gaze upon the new majordomo, his expression cold and calculating. However, all he could discern was an air of amusement and a rather peculiar countenance with a prominent nose, cerulean eyes and auburn hair. I shall have you investigated further, he pondered, whoever you may be, your arrival seems rather ill-timed.

"Lafferty, fetch a sack for this head, ensure everything is cleaned up, and summon the local authorities. Meanwhile, I shall await them in my study," he commanded. He then turned to his mother. "And you, retire to your chamber, at once!" he cried out.

Corinne wasted no time and immediately fled to her room. There, she sank onto her bed and burst into tears, her body trembling uncontrollably.

Felix eagerly anticipated the moment when he would have a private conversation with his brother

Felix eagerly anticipated the moment when he would have a private conversation with his brother. The image of pallid Eliza in distress lingered in his thoughts, especially after she uncovered the kerchief's connection to their lineage. Considering her unfavourable mood due to the lost chest and Daniel's imprudent remarks, he expected her to quickly remove the kerchief from her hand and cast it to the ground as a gesture of defiance. However, her gaze suggested that he had just revealed a dreadful secret to her, bringing an end to her ignorance.