28. Two Dollar Hooker

The ride was mostly silent, but it wasn't too uncomfortable as I thought it would be. But I can't comprehend why my uncle has him as a personal assistant. Last I knew Hunter either wanted to do football or baseball as a professional career.

"Why aren't you pursuing your dreams?" I blurt out because I am just so damn curious.

"It wasn't meant to be. Besides I think I tried to please my father too much and it's not what I really wanted to do."

"A personal assistant is just that." I state and he rubs the back of his neck and I remember him doing that a lot when he was nervous about something. "It's something for the time being. We are here." Way to change the subject but when I look at where we are I can't help but smile. "Sal's diner." I smile at him. This place brings back so many memories before and after the accident that took my sight. "The last time I was here was right after graduation."

**** Flashback ****

"Lil, where are you taking me?" I swear this girl likes to drag me everywhere she goes, even though I can't see a damn thing. Sometimes I think it is out of pity but then that is just my own self-loathing thinking. I know Lily would not be my best friend if she didn't want to be blind or not.

"Sal's Diner."

"They have the best shakes."

"I know, come on Cass. Plus, we needed cheering up since the three musketeers is only two now, with Nate away at college. Don't tell him this but I miss the asshat and his cheery attitude all the time." I laugh as she walks us through the doors and the smell of fried foods waft through the air.

"I know it's been strange that is for sure." She gets us situated at our usual table.

"He has always had our backs."

"I always will."

"Nate?"

I whip my head around so fast to the sound of his voice and can't contain my excitement. I jump out of my seat and almost fall. I feel his strong arms around me, and I bend my head down so he can't see the affect he has on me. "Whoa, I got you doll." I wrap my arms around him tight. I'm afraid to move for the spectacle I just made out of myself. Why couldn't I keep it together?

"You're here."

"Of course, Cass. There is nowhere else I would be. I mean my two favorite girls are getting ready for college."

"I missed you Nate."

"I missed you too Cass."

**** End of Flashback ****

"Earth to Cassie." Hunter is waving his hand in front of me. "Where did you just go?" He asks with a teasing smile.

"Huh?" I blink twice and look around. I feel my cheeks heat up from daydreaming while Hunter laughs as he picks up a menu. "Sorry, just reminiscing." A waitress comes over and we place our orders. I feel a little uncomfortable with him staring at me.

"Look Cass, I'm really sorry for how I treated you in high school. I didn't know how to deal with what you were going through." I just stare at him because he was missing one major factor in all of it. "The bet." I nod not saying anything. "It was the most idiotic thing I ever did, but I did care for you a lot. Like I said I was a major idiot back then."

"I get it, we are different people from who we used to be. I forgive you Hunter."

He shakes his head and I see his cheeks turn a rosy color. "You are still too good to be true. I truly am sorry though." I wave my hand dismissively as our food arrives and as I take a bite someone stands behind me and I hear Hunter groan.