Prologue

Everyone says that life begins once you graduate high school and gain your independence. For me it was the complete opposite. My life completely changed before I even graduated. Hell, I was lucky I was alive to even make it to my graduation. 

My name is Cassie Logan, and I was one of those girls that everyone has seen in those teen rom-com movies. I was popular, I had the looks, the grades and most of all I had Hunter Evans the star quarterback and Captain of the baseball team.  I know cliche much, well it didn't last as long as I thought it would. My world came crashing down and I learned that it is all utter and complete bullshit. Because none of that matters when you lose what is most important to you.

There is no point in trying to keep your status while you are in high school because in the snap of the fingers it can all disappear. The people you thought were your friends stab you so hard in the back while you are already down. It's like you just do not want to get back up.  Trust me there was plenty of times that I just wanted it to end and wish I just died that tragic day. After all it was my fault, no matter what anyone says that's what I believe. If I haven't been so self-absorbed into my own life things would be different, and I would not be here bouncing my knees right now, nervous as all hell.

"Cass!" My head snaps up to my best friend's voice. Lily Bauers has been by my side since we were back in third grade. I feel her hand clasp into mine and I grab hold of hers like it is my anchor and I don't drift away. "You were lost in your own thoughts, starring off into space again...weren't you? Snap out of it girl."

I sigh as I run my hands through my hair. "Seriously Lil I am always lost in space...no correction I'm lost in the black hole."

I hear her snicker, "So, I take it our dear, loveable Cass is not in a good mood today." I roll my eyes as she pulls me into a hug. "No, how can you tell Lil?" She playfully shoves me, and I begin to giggle, because I can feel her rolling her eyes at me. Things have not been the same since that fateful day, but I thank God for Lily and also for Nate. Nate Miller is my best friend as well. These two have stuck by me through everything and I am eternally grateful to them. I promise I wouldn't be here if it weren't for them.

"Okay Miss bitchypants. I honestly thought you would be more excited about today."

         I'm scared to death

I walk around my apartment more easily now than I did three years ago. When I first got here, I banged into everything. My best friends were afraid to leave me alone, but I was determined to do this on my own. Well, that was after accepting that this is what my life would be for the rest of my life.

"Lil, I am so freaking nervous. What if it does not work? What if it makes it worse than it already is?" She grabs my hand and brings me back to sit down. "And what if it works Cass? Don't you think you owe it to yourself to see if it does? Besides you know me, and Nate will be right there. If they fuck it up there will be hell to pay." I can't help but laugh and hug her tightly.

"Thanks Lil and speaking of Nate," there is a knock on my door and Lily gets up to open the door. "Hello lovely ladies." I get a shiver down my spine when he speaks. Okay you might figure out by now that I have a teensy-weensy crush on Nate. Nathan Miller was my savior in high school when I got ridiculed and teased. His lips land on my head and I hold in a sigh. No matter what I will not let my feelings show. Because he is so important to me, it is not worth losing what we have.

"Hi Nate, I knew you would be here. Were you afraid I was going to chicken out?" I give him my sweetest smile. "Of course, I did." He chuckles and I scoff at that, and he pulls me closer. "I know you Cass and if you could, you would run for the hills."

"Okay Mr. Smarty pants if you know me so well...what am I thinking right now?"

"That you want to punch me in the arm." And that is exactly what I do as Lily starts laughing. "For a little woman you sure know how to pack a punch."

"I learned from the best." I smile because I am grateful that he taught me how to defend myself. But once the playfulness dies down, I get nervous again. "I'm scared you guys." I feel the tears slip from my eyes. Lily sits on the left and Nate on the right holding onto me.

"We got you babes." Lily places a kiss on my cheek. "We wouldn't miss this for the world Cass." Nate kissed my other cheek and I pray that I hide the blush that I know is trying to creep up on my cheeks.

"What if it doesn't work?"

"Then we will be here for you no matter what."

"Yeah, what dumbass said." I can't help but giggle. "Besides you have the best Doctor to perform the surgery."

"The articles on him are astounding Cass. I would not have recommended him otherwise. We only want the best for our girl." I could just swoon over what Nate says but I bottle those feelings up deep inside and slam the door shut and lock it.

"What time is it?" 

"It's about time babes. You ready?" I can hear the nervousness inside her voice, but I take a deep breath. Today I am going to take my life back, and hopefully a part of me will be whole again.

"As ready as I will ever be." I get up and wait for Nate to stand as well. He takes my hand but stops and I slam into his chest. "Son of a cricket."  They both laugh, yeah, I am not one for cussing unless I absolutely can't control myself. "Yeah, laugh it up dill-weeds."

"I'm so excited for you Cassie. Just think that this time tomorrow you might actually get to see what I look like." I can hear the excitement in his voice. I cannot help myself and I reach my hands up to his face and feel all his features just to make sure I am correct. It helps me relax some to feel his happiness. Maybe this will turn out better than I hoped for.

Yes, you guessed it My name is Cassie Logan I am twenty one years old. For the past five years I have been blind. But today my luck might change, and I will get to see once again.

Here's to hoping.

****************
A/N: For 1st time readers this story was posted before but somehow disappeared. I hope you enjoy it.

💞Lexi💞