5. Starting Over

The funeral came and went, and it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to go through. I wanted to be buried with my parents. Heck, I wanted it to be me and not them. If it wasn't for Lily, my uncle and my aunt's support, it could have been a lot worse.

Starting over is a pain in the butt. Learning new things have always been something I have enjoyed. But trying to walk without my sight has given me more scrapes and bruises then I want. It's been three months and I have learned how to read braille. My teacher has said I have caught on quick. Even Lilly wanted to learn so she came over after school for lessons. We had the reading of my parents will, and everything they had went to me and Uncle Jeff, since my dad's parents already passed away. So basically, I can sell the house or keep it. But I already asked Uncle Jeff to put it on the market. I can't bare to be there without them.

"Oh my God Cass, there is a new student, and he is to die for." I can't help but giggle because my friend is so boy crazy.

"That's nice."

"Nice! Nice don't even cut it. He is like all hotness rolled into one specimen."

"Okay don't be over dramatic. Maybe I will get to meet him when I go back to school." Silence comes after what I said, I reach out and touch her face. "Why the worried face?" She sighs and then takes my hands into hers and holds them. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Of course, I'm not going to let this hold me back. I know I haven't been the most pleasant person, but I need this Lil. I need to feel somewhat normal again."

"I understand and I got your back babes no matter what."

"Thank you."

"Anytime. So, when you going to come back?"

"Actually, I'm coming back tomorrow." I plug my ears as I know what is coming. "WHAT!!!" See what I mean, I swear it echoed throughout the room and then some. "Dang Lil. I don't need to go deaf as well as being blind."

"Okay, okay. Sorry, you just threw me off guard. Look I got to go, but I will pick you up since I have my license now."

Another thing I will never get to do now that I'm sixteen.

"Alright, then tomorrow it is."

She gives me a hug and then she leaves. I make my way to the bathroom. Luckily, I have been able to get around much easier. I take my shower and do my daily routine before I get ready for bed. Once done there is a knock on my door.

"Come in."

"Hey Cass. I just wanted to check to make sure that this is something you want to do."

"I need to do this Uncle Jeff."

"Alright then. If it is too much let me know."

"I will."

We say our goodnights and then I lay down and close my eyes. Sometimes the nightmares come. I just pray tonight is not one of them. Someone was looking out for me because when I woke up the next morning, I felt refresh.

"Rise and shine...oh!"

I couldn't help but laugh. I can just imagine what the expression on poor Lily's face looked like. "Thought I would still be asleep huh?" Instead of answering me I hear her walk past me and into my closet. "What are you doing Lil?"

"Picking out your clothes. Wouldn't want you to mismatch or anything." I roll my eyes at her. "That happened one time." I can feel her eyes on me, it is so weird that how much my other senses are heightened now that I have to rely on them. "As I recall it was more than once. I cannot let you go into school looking like a disaster. Bad enough people will be talking about you." I never thought about that and my anxiety kicks in. Why didn't I think of that before? I just wanted to feel somewhat back to the way I use to be. "Don't worry Cass. If anybody messes with you, I will beat their ass." I have no doubt about that. "Also, all your books that you will need will be left in your classes, so you don't have to carry them around."

"Thanks Lil"

"I just thought it would be easier than trying to get a locker. Even though your uncle wanted to put a special locker in just for you." I can't help but laugh at that, because it sounds like something he would do. "But thanks to your fabulous friend here, I talked him out of it." I hug my friend once I feel her near me. "You are the best Lil."

"Aww, don't mention it babes. Now let's get you ready."

"I can dress myself you know."

"Oh, I know. You do that and when you are done, I will do your hair." I quickly get dressed and Lil guides me to sit down. I feel her braiding my hair to the side. "Now let's go get some breakfast before we go to school."

I shake my head. "I can't Lil I am too nervous."

"You will have to eat something, even if it is something light so you can take your medication."

I nod my head and grab my cane off the side of my bed while Lily grabs my backpack. We head downstairs and I hear my uncle and aunt talking. "Morning sweetie, you hungry?" my Aunt Claire asks. I try not to cringe at the nickname.

"Not really, but I will take something light."

I feel something being put into my hand. "Eat a banana." Lil says as I hear the clatter of plates. "Cass, I have to go into the office today. So, I will not be getting back until late."

"No worries Mr. Andrews, I will bring Cass home."

"Thanks Lily. Well, you girls better be off, or you will be late. Oh, and Cass remember what I said."

"I will Uncle."

With that we leave and are on our way to school. My leg keeps bouncing, although I have been in a car since the accident it still makes me nervous. I guess it's a good thing I can't see because I might freak out even more.

"We're here."

"Shit!" I cover my mouth as soon as the word leaves my lips.

"Hell has finally froze over. Our dear, sweet, innocent Cassie Logan actually cursed." She laughs as I shove her arm. "Shut up!" I open the door and get out of the vehicle. Once outside I have this eerie feeling that there is a whole bunch of eyes on me.

"Lily"

"I'm right here babes." I feel her hand grab mine as we begin to walk towards the school. "You got this Cass." I nod my head, because all of the sudden I am not so confident about this.

"Cassie" I stop dead in my tracks as soon as I hear his voice. "Hunter."

"You don't have to do this Cass." Lily whispers in my ear. "I need to Lil." She squeezes my hand, "I won't be that far away." I squeeze her hand back before I feel it slip through my fingers.

"Thank God you are okay."

"Really Hunter, because I have not seen or heard from you since I was in the hospital."

"Come on Cass, that's not fair. You were recovering, I didn't want to interfere with your recovery."

"Oh really. Well, what about the past three months then." He doesn't say anything, and I would put my hands on his face so I can read his expression, but I am so mad and disappointed right now. I'm about to say something else but we get interrupted by someone. "Yo! Hunt, where's my money?"

"What money?"

"It's nothing Cass. Not right now Carlos."

"Nah man, you have been putting it off. You owe me a hundred bucks. Listen sweetheart." I want to slap him for saying that to me. "Your boy, made a bet on you."

"What?" I stumble back a little.

"Fuck off Carlos! It's not true Cass."

"Oh, it is definitely true, and I have the recording for it."

"What bet?" When I do not hear an explanation I yell, "What Bet!!!"

"Our boy said he could get inside your pants."

"Cass, it may have started off like that, but I swear things changed once we were together."

"You bastard!" I slap him hard and next thing I know is I hear a grunt coming from him as well. "You asshole! I should do more damage to you. You don't deserve someone like Cassie. Come on Cass let's go."

I guess I am starting over more ways than one. But that's okay because Lily is right, I do deserve better. I just hope I do not have to deal with any more heartache.