~Chapter 19

3rd Person POV

There stood the lovely Hinata, although startled to see who was at the door, she didn't waver. "Oh, hi Sasuke...is Naruto home" Hinata asked quickly. "Yeah....what's wrong" Sasuke asked a moment later, realizing Hinata's distress that he was positive wasn't caused by the sight of him. "It's the kids, they're all incredibly wounded-", "IS SARADA ALRIGHT" Sasuke shouted, now realizing the situation Hinata was trying to explain. "She's okay as far as I know, she didn't get hurt" Hinata reassured Sasuke quickly, "and what about Boruto" Sasuke pressed for answers, not realizing he was becoming physical with his hand on her shoulder. "He's alright but seems to be in a bit of shock" Hinata stated.

"Shock, what do you mean by that, what happened Hinata" Sasuke questioned his fist clenching. Tears started to well up in her eyes, "it's Shikadai" she muttered and that's all that needed to be said to finally understand.

Shikamaru POV

I was in the waiting room just sitting there with my eyes staring at my hands. It was Sakura who was operating on Shikadai, my son, it was all I needed to know to see how serious this was already. So far, Shikadai is in surgery, ChoCho is being hospitalized, Iwabee was being treated for his injuries and the rest was mostly cuts and bruises thankfully. I was just glad that the rest of the kids were alright. Then that leaves our other problem from what I heard, Mitsuki has been taken by the enemy. Who knows how long the kid will last, despite him being one of Orochimaru's kin, those Otsutsuki are unpredictable.

Who knows what their next move is, especially with a hostage like that, I know the kid is crazy good. No doubt he's got some powerful jutsu to have the Otsutsuki even consider taking him alive. Boruto has been paranoid ever since he got here, I know he's worried about Shikadai. Since they're very close with them being childhood bestfriends but I also can see he's distressed. Knowing Boruto, I could tell he wanted to go after his friend, Mitsuki but he doesn't want to leave Shikadai when he's in surgery. His heart is tore and he doesn't know what to do, in a way, I can see how stressful this situation is for him.

As these two things are time sensitive, Shikadai is in bad condition but I believe he'll make it. He's a strong kid, I believe in my son, doesn't mean I don't worry any less. Then there's Mitsuki, captured and in enemy hands, his captors doing who knows what to him. The longer we wait to attempt a rescue, the more his chances of survival diminishes. It's a terrible position to be in, stuck between supporting your injured friend and saving his teammate from the Otsutsuki. I wanted to stand up and tell him everything was gonna be okay but I figured that was too soon. It's best to wait things out and see how things go from there.

First thing on my todo list, wait and see if my son's surgery was a success. All I could do was wait, I had full faith that he'd be alright since it was Sakura doing the surgery afterall. Gentle hands touched mine as I looked up to see my beautiful wife. Who kissed my cheek as she comforted me, I moved my body and my arms around her. Pulling her into my chest, knowing she was just putting on a strong face. But no matter how strong she is, nothing hurts more than to see your child hanging from a thread.

While I sat there just holding her as she hid her face, hid her emotions inside my chest. It wasn't long before worried parents came swarming into the waiting room and I pulled away, seeing Ino rushing through the door. With a neutral Sai following quick behind her, rushing over to hold her beloved baby. It didn't take long for Inojin to be smothering and lectured quietly by his mother. The scene made me smile softly at the wholesome moment. Hinata had went out to tell our friends about what had unfolded today.

It won't take long until Naruto, the Hokage, catches wind of this. This isn't good news and Naruto already has a lot on his plate and now with this recent development. He's gonna have to juggle even more responsible than before, but as of right, he's just gonna have to decide what's more important. I glanced over to Boruto as he paces around Sarada muttering something. He's mind must be plagued with worries and his issues are only just starting. It's only going down hill from here, I don't know how Naruto and Sasuke have decided to deal with their issues.

These days, it always seems Naruto is always in a position where he has to choose between his family matters and his job as the Hokage. Then there's the twins, who were standing awkwardly in the corner, not trying to make contact with anyone. I can understand that, since how they were raised was a lot different then how Boruto was raised. Boruto doesn't understand how lucky he was to actually have his father around when he was growing up. If anything, the one who didn't deserve to be casted away was Sarada, having her father gone most her life. But like promised, Naruto did all that he could to help Sakura raise her.

I could tell that they just want to be apart of a family again without the worry of oncoming war. It seemed war was always inevitable in this kind of life, you can only hope for peace for so long. As their families lives are alway taunted no matter where they go. Deep down, I know family is the only thing they both care about but their job to their village has to comes first. For Naruto, his village is his family and he will do anything to protect that. No matter the cost, even if it breaks Naruto's very heart.

I sighed softly to myself, Naruto has already made so many sacrifices already. I can't watch him tear himself apart from the inside out again.