9 - Minutes into hours

Start from the beginning

He sighed, looking at Jenna. It was obvious he had fallen for her. Not a lot, but just a little. Not enough to be nice to her, I bet.

My mom sobbed on Jenna's shoulder. It was weird to watch that. My mom might be the more emotional one of my parents, but neither of them were really comfortable with their emotions.

A weakness, my dad used to say. I didn't really understand why emotions were considered a weakness.

I didn't understand why everything was to be concealed, but I concealed them just the same. You become like me when you have parents like mine - the ones who think of a certain thing as a weakness, and then curse you for not having that.

I went to the tiny greenhouse my parents had. This place used to be my safe haven when I was younger. Not because I was overly fond of plants, I liked them as a regular person did. But in the greenhouse, there would be no talks of doctors and diseases and surgeries and my incompetence.

The greenhouse provided much needed nothing. It didn't speak. It didn't ask. It didn't scold. It didn't give a fuck.

I set myself on a bench and looked at the text from Hedeon. I hadn't replied to him, being in the mood I was since the morning because of lack of sleep and the fact that my little sister was to leave.

Good morning, Dahlia.

I saved his number and then my thumbs lingered on the keyboard.

Should I apologise for replying late? It seemed like a decent thing to do.

I rubbed my eyes. I was not in a state to reply to texts, or even talk to anyone. I wanted to sleep. I knew I wouldn't sleep.

Sorry for not replying in the morning, I finally typed. I was busy. Good afternoon, Hedeon.

Gosh, was that rigid? Or a bit too formal?

A few moments passed.

It's alright, Dahlia. Would you like to go out tonight?

I thought about it. I hadn't slept. I couldn't really go out without seeming like a zombie.

How about tomorrow? I asked.

That would work with us, his answer came. I will text you with details tomorrow, then.

I put my phone away as my eyes started watering. I clutched my head in my hands, taking deep breaths. Was this anxiety here because of the date or because Emilia had gone away or because I had just seen my mom sob for a better part of an hour? I didn't know. All I knew was that it was here, and now I was to deal with it.

Alone.

Surrounded by my beloved nothing.

I sat down beside Minnie's cage, looking at the details Hedeon had texted. We were to go out at seven. For dinner, he texted. With him and his brother.

Both of them.

I was still trying to come to terms with that.

"What do you think, Minnie?" I asked her and I pet her little head. "Is it going to be good? Or just another anxiety filled date."

She meowed, snuggling into my hand.

I pressed the upper part of my stomach, taking deep breaths to calm myself down as I looked at the clock. 3 pm. I had 4 hours to deal with my anxiety and get ready in a way I didn't feel bad.

That was going to be hard.

But I dragged myself out of the shelter after talking to a few more animals and Marie who just grinned and told me the million things I should let the Kozlov twins do to me.

After managing to rip myself away from her, while she mentioned the million positions I had not even heard of, I settled myself in my car and drove away.

. . .

I wiped the tears off my face with a tissue before I started the makeup, trying to ignore the text my father had sent to me.

I'm disappointed, Dahlia. You should have comforted your mother yesterday. Who is Jenna to us? Nothing. You're our daughter. It will not kill you to be considerate once. Come home tomorrow morning, we have much to discuss.

I sat down on the bed, looking up at the clock on the wall.

It was about to be 7 in about half an hour.

I looked into the mirror. My face was a mess. All the makeup was now ruined.

I grabbed a makeup wipe and just rubbed it all off, as gently as I could with my shaking hands. But my skin still felt angry after it.

I tied my hair away from my face and changed my dress for a large top and shorts while I texted Hedeon.

I'm sorry. I can't go on a date with you. I don't think we will work out. I'm so sorry for cancelling so late.

As I sent the text, I realised just how much I had wanted to go out with him and Andros.

But I wasn't going anywhere with eyes this red and heart this broken.

I laid down on the coach in my living room, letting Vaness cuddle me. I grabbed a blanket and pulled it over us, turning to my side to turn on the TV.

I watched a random show, not really registering what was happening in it, as more tears flowed out of my eyes.

It will not kill you to be considerate once.

You're cold as fuck, Dahlia.

I took deep breaths, trying to make my ribs get some air into me, but nothing could be done.

Absolutely nothing.

I wish I wasn't used to this. But I was. Every glass of lemonade offered brought a heartbreaking text. If he wasn't my dad, I'd hate him. I'd hate him so much. But blood bound me to him, or cursed me with him - I was yet to decide.

I kept my phone in my hands, wondering if Hedeon was going to reply. He didn't look like a guy who'd be used to getting rejected. He was heartbreakingly beautiful. I didn't trust handsome men - they either turn out to be the best people you know or the worst - there was somehow no inbetween, at least to my knowledge of the world.

Soon enough I fell asleep and woke up to rain slamming down on my window. The weather really was unpredictable this time of the year, and I loved it. I watched the rain like I had watched the show and found it to be far more relaxing.

Then I reached for my phone. He hadn't replied, but he had seen the message.

Gosh, was he mad? He had put in a lot of effort.

He didn't text the whole day while I contemplated if I should have texted again - just to explain myself or ask to reschedule the date because I knew deep down I really did want to go out with them. But something, maybe the everlasting self loathing, held me back and I let the minutes turn into hours.
. . .

Do we likes the names of the Kozlov twins? idk why but I just adore the name Hedeon. It's giving built daddy who has a deep voice and smiles just for you.