38. Chapter (You Belong To Me)

Start from the beginning

"I would gladly exchange my position with you," Daniel retorted.

"I'm glad you can't."

The brothers regarded each other with a prolonged gaze, which was broken by Daniel. "Well, if that needling was all from your side, I shall discourse with our mother. Now, if you will excuse me."

Felix trailed after his brother to the main hall, where he expressed, "I'm curious how this matter with Travis will unfold, for I find the man to be rather unreasonable."

If you deem him unreasonable, one can only ponder how you'd label me for my transgressions, crossed Daniel's thoughts. However, he offered no retort, simply proceeding to the drawing room.

Daniel's action caused Felix to narrow his gaze, but ultimately, he resolved to return to the corridor and positioned himself before the door to Daniel's chamber. Never before had he been so intrusive into his brother's personal space, yet his suspicions exceeded rationality, compelling him to turn the handle and enter. Felix proceeded directly to the coffer without hesitation, lifting the lid to reveal Daniel's clothes. He began examining each piece until his eyes fell upon a cloth stained with dried blood.

"You cut your finger rather gravely, brother," he murmured in a tone laced with sarcasm. It took him little time to surmise the most likely narrative behind the stained fabric and the alteration in Daniel's demeanour. "My, my, it seems you took on hunting in the enemy's forest, and I can't discern whether I should call it a favourable happenstance or sheer madness. Pray, which one of the Price sisters fell prey to you?"

Felix swiftly restored the clothing, closing the coffer resolutely. A smirk prompted by this revelation couldn't leave his countenance.

Meanwhile, Daniel met his mother's gaze as she raised it from the perusal of a letter in the drawing room. She smiled warmly and addressed him, saying, "My dear son!"

For some reason, it pricked at his soul, and he couldn't summon a smile to reciprocate her warmth, a fact immediately discerned by Rose.

"Is aught amiss, Daniel?" His mother asked in a concerned tone, her smile fading.

Daniel nodded and took a seat next to her, gently taking her hand into his own. He sighed and briefly hesitated before speaking.

"I might have uncovered that the red-haired maid from your uncle's abode is indeed in the employ of the Prices."

Rose's eyes widened in astonishment. "Verily! So it's true, she has been with them all this time!"

Daniel inclined his head. "As I said, I might have revealed it's her."

"Then we must apprehend her," his mother spoke in a hushed yet eager voice, "we must inquire of her about my uncle's last days!" Observing that her son remained indifferent to her ideas, she furrowed her brows.

"Mother," he began with a composed tone, "I happen to be acquainted with that young woman, as I once assisted in preventing her from becoming an... unwilling servant to a certain lord's needs. If she radiates anything, it's a profound dread of being used in such a manner... or any manner again."

Rose continued to regard him with a furrowed brow. "So what do you propose then?"

Daniel sighed. "You won't like the idea a tiny bit—I want no interference from our side toward that miss."

"But Daniel, did you forget what's at stake?!"

"Nay, I didn't. But I doubt she has anything to do with the disappearance of... you know what. Cease your interest in that young woman for I want no harm to befall her."