Chapter 77: Viserys the Peaceful

Start from the beginning

"Would you like something to eat?" Aeonar offered kindly.

"Yes, please. Just... Just a little something..."

"Let me have Talya bring you something, Your Grace. It's the least we can do."

Viserys turned his head slowly to the right, grimacing. "Aeonar... would it be alright if... I spent some time with... with my grandchildren this morning?"

Aeonar nodded. "Of course, father. We'll make it happen."

--------------------------

True to his word, the king's grandchildren each took turns spending an entire day with him. Over the course of the past week, the whole family had rallied around Viserys; their collective focus was firmly fixed on ensuring that every moment spent with him was imbued with a sense of timelessness and joy. Despite the weight of the inevitable looming over them all, their sole objective was to create lasting memories that would endure long after Viserys was gone.

Standing alongside his grandfather, Jaehaerys engaged in the meticulous task of enhancing the model of Old Valyria. Commencing his efforts in the early hours of the morning, he began by delicately removing any cobwebs and dust that had accumulated over time. With great care and precision, he proceeded to meticulously add intricate details, meticulously filling every gap and crevice with a vibrant coat of paint, bringing each model to life with a brilliant splash of color. "It has been some time since our last discussion, and I would like to inform you of our recent expansion efforts," he stated. "Regarding the pyramid in the center of our project, I have been contemplating the addition of a layer of gold, reminiscent of the pyramids featured in the descriptions of Meereen. Additionally, I propose that the towers be modeled after those of the Valyrian Freehold. But what's say you, grandfather? I would appreciate your input on this matter."

Viserys had been given a substantial portion of dreamwine that had been blended with pulverized willow bark. While it wasn't as potent as milk of the poppy when it came to reducing pain, it did help him keep his mental faculties intact so that he could continue to be productive. "That's quite... an astute observation, Jaehaerys," he whispered with short breaths. "The Ghriscari Empire, which gave birth to Meereen, had been around for centuries... before the dragons ever appeared in the Valyrian peninsula. It's... possible that our ancestors drew... inspiration from the Harpy worshippers when they... were designing their architecture."

As the king delicately wiped his mouth with a luxurious silk cloth, Viserys couldn't help but acknowledge the fact that among all his grandchildren, Jaehaerys held a special place in his heart. Not only was he the first of many, but his grandson possessed an exceptional intellect, indomitable spirit, kind-hearted nature, and an unwavering sense of compassion. Viserys saw a bright future for the young boy, one where he would undoubtedly significantly impact the world around him. Viserys placed his hand on Jaehaerys's shoulder, his fingers trembling slightly.

"As we... sit here, building models and playing with toys, it's easy to forget that one day you, Jaehaerys, will bear the weight of being king. It's a daunting task... filled with hard choices that one day may lead to regret. But always remember, your first duty... as a king... is to the people," Viserys said, emphasizing the last word. "Nations are not just lines on maps or cities of stone and gold... they're made up of the people... who inhabit them. So, it's our duty to serve them... because without them, we have no right to rule. Do you... understand, lad?"

Jaehaerys nodded. "I understand, grandfather," he replied, briefly returning to the model. "Throughout my travels across the realm on each royal progress, I encountered numerous individuals needing help, ranging from high-ranking lords to commoners. In addressing border disputes, facilitating trade, and forging a pact between two houses, I had to make plenty of difficult decisions and learn from my mistakes." He returned his focus to the king. "But what's more, if there's anything I learned, it is that by forging everlasting alliances, to build the bond that makes us whole, we lay the groundwork for a future worth preserving. Each generation adds and improves on it so those who come after will be successful."