𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

{words: 3353}

Tanjiro explained to Tsukumo how he defeated Sabito, how he used his great senses to detect the opening thread. When he fights, he can use his smell to find the thread.

Tsukumo smiled pridefully, impressed and proud of his younger brother, he pat Tanjiro's head, "Good job, Tanjiro."

What Tanjiro failed to mention, was the conversation he had with Urokodaki that followed his impressive win.

"I had no intention of sending you to the final selection. I couldn't see another one of my children die, I was sure you wouldn't have been able to slice this boulder." Urokodaki looked ahead, "but..."

Urokodaki gently pat Tanjiro's head, "Well done, my boy. Tanjiro, you are truly a very remarkable kid."

Tsukumo gleamed as Urokodaki and him prepared the festive dinner. Tanjiro was in shock.

"Wow! What's the occasion? There's so much food!"

Tsukumo smiled gently, as Urokodaki answered him, "You have finished all of your training, so, we shall celebrate."

"Urokodaki-Sama," Tsukumo said almost eerily cold, "you're not cooking the soup right."

Tanjiro nervously chuckled as he scooted away from the two, he knew how serious Tsukumo was about cooking. Urokodaki held a pan that was searing with boiling soup, as he threateningly held it closer and closer to Tsukumo, the demon not backing down.

"Is everyone in this family so stubborn?" Urokodaki asked sarcastically.

Tsukumo smiled bluntly, the boiling soup almost as firey as Urokodaki's ears, "I'm not being stubborn, I'm being truthful, you're soiling the meal."

Urokodaki shook in comical anger, air flowing out of his mask he grunted, "How are you the oldest?! You are very uncooperative."

Tsukumo's smile dropped, a cold stare replaced his kind eyes, "You're doing it wrong."

"Then you cook it. Don't be shy, Tanjiro," Urokodaki leaves the kitchen to Tsukumo, "eat up!"

Urokodaki offers a bowl to Tanjiro, the young boy smiling and thanking him for the meal. Eating quickly, and laughing with Tsukumo, Tanjiro loved the calm moment.

Urokodaki watched, his heart aching as he once watched the same relationship occur between Giyuu and Sabito, "Tanjiro... there is nothing more I am able to do for you... After today, you will go through so much hardship and depression, your training will seem like nothing in comparison."

Urokodaki dodged a flying bowl, an 'oblivious' Tsukumo humming and looking at the ceiling as Tanjiro pretended not to notice with a small giggle hidden behind his bowl. Tsukumo was the only one without a bowl, he actually just grabbed and empty one for the sake of throwing it, not to eat.

Urokodaki shook his head with a sigh, "Though, you can rest now without a care in the world, Tsukumo will be there for you on your journey. I know, he will protect you with everything he's got." The trainer frowned a bit, hidden behind the mask.

Tsukumo lips overturned a bit, "Everything okay, Urokodaki-Sama?"

"Yes. Did you two enjoy the hot pot?" He blew the question over, making Tsukumo feel slightly uneasy.

Tanjiro had excused himself to bed. Urokodaki and Tsukumo started to clean up the mess. Even then, did Tsukumo feel somewhat out of place. Has Tsukumo overstepped a boundary? Was Urokodaki hesitant on housing Tsukumo and Nezuko? Did he want them dead?